Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Elizabeth POV

"It wasn't an accident dear.”

"Who is speaking?” I was all alone in a white room. I must be dreaming I thought.

"It wasn't an accident dear.”

Who was saying this? Why were they repeating themselves? I started to feel panicky and shaky. "Am I...I...I dead, what happened to me?”

"No dear, you are very much alive.”

I couldn't see the mystery woman. She was just out of my view.

"Tell me what's going on," I screamed.

Everything began to blur. All I heard was that distant voice repeating itself.

"Elizabeth wake up darling.”

I opened my eyes to see my mother, father, sister, Tim, and the doctor staring intently at me with their faces creased with worry. I was in my home. The mystery voice was gone. I tried to sit up, but I was far too weak. My head was throbbing, and my arms were covered with red bumps.

"Lay back down," The doctor pressed his hand into my shoulder. "You had a severe allergic reaction to the Oleander that was on the floor of the row boat."

"It wasn't an accident," I mumbled.

"She must be dreadfully confused, from her fall," my mother exclaimed.

"Miss Weathers you’re very lucky to have had this young man by your side. You could have died. I have never seen someone so allergic to Oleander before. It is so fortunate that Mr. Dallas here was able to carry you all the way to the house.”

I looked over to Tim. He was sweating terribly. His tie lay undone on his neck, and his shirt was halfway unbuttoned. His eyes reflected fear and distress.

"Thank you Tim.” I reached for his hand and grasped it firmly, never wanting to let it go. My heart yearned to be with him.

"Wait, Oleander doesn't grow here" I stammered, remembering what the doctor had said.

"You never know honey, don't worry just rest," My father said while patting my cheek.

"Tim it was in our boat,” I was trying to piece this information together.

"Yes, I remembered seeing a bit of it when your mother made mention of your severe allergy.”

"Maybe it wasn't an accident.”

"Elizabeth you think someone knowingly put Oleander in our boat.”

"Maybe, I...I...don't know.”

The doctor began whispering in my mother’s ear. Everyone in the room averted their eyes and gave each other knowing glances. They didn’t believe me. I was not sure if I even believed myself. My voice wasn’t my own, and I had no control over it.

"I am not confused; stop looking at me like that.”

"Elizabeth, you had a fall and a fever, now drink this to help clear up your mind.”

"No...No...No...." They forced the bitter drink down my throat and I began to drift away. Slowly my mind slipped away from my grasp.

"It wasn't an accident.” It wasn’t an acci-."