Chapter 28

Chapter 29

Elizabeth’s POV

"This is just devastating. Poor Tim he must be in such disarray."

"I know, it is most heartbreaking."

"Elizabeth there is something I must speak with you about. I don't mean to distract from the situation at hand, but Lilly and I had a discussion which will be of most concern to you."

"Juliana, you know I do not wish to relive those most humiliating times. What is done is done. I do not care to hear of your outlandish tales of how Lilly is trying to destroy Tim and I."

"Pray dear sister I fear for your life! At the match she grabbed hold of me speaking crazed sayings. Claiming she wants you out of my life or life all together. The Oleander, leaking out that lie to the newspaper it all adds together."

"I think a moist cloth and some rest would be of much assistance to your frazzled nerves."

"Elizabeth dear have you seen Lydia?”

"No mother.”

"I saw her run away in tears after the match.”

"No wonder, this bag dropped from her pocket as she ran off.”

Mother unwrapped a small bag of some native plant I had heard was toxic to horses.

"You think she poisoned the horse!"

"I am most certain! I caught her kissing Jake Dallas the day before the match. She must have wanted to kill him because she was so heartbroken over their inability to wed."

"I don’t even know what to think.”

"Lydia needs to be caught and dealt with accordingly.”

Juliana cried and cried, mourning the great loss of Jake. I myself was even more disturbed that such a quiet girl could be capable of murder.

"I am going straight to the authorities with this information."

"I myself will pay my respects to the Dallas's.”

Attention turned towards Juliana now.

"I am too ill to even think of speaking with anyone."

Mother and I left the house quickly.

When I arrived at the Dallas's home it was filled with sorrow. I paid my respects to the black clad mother and the sulking father before finding Tim. He was sitting in the parlor twirling a glass of scotch and smoking a cigar.

"I never got to say good bye. You don’t think that seeing your brother in the morning will be your last."

"Tim I am so sorry.”

"Elizabeth I need you to know that I love you, right now though I must be alone."

He kissed me tenderly and I took my leave. I felt guilty for not telling him about Lydia. In this state though he would be inclined to blame me for my connection to her.