Chapter 12

.

Chapter 13

Tim Dallas POV

Idiot. That word was thrown around frequently on the coach ride home. Part of me was so relieved that she might still care for me, but the other part of me hated myself for creating a huge mess. Elizabeth was mad and I couldn't blame her. She probably would never speak to me again.

 My mother was wailing due to the grand embarrassment I had caused her. After Elizabeth left, my mother had apologized profusely and we too took our leave, No after dinner scotch and cigars in the parlor.

"Listen to me when I am talking to you," my father yelled. His face was contorted in an ugly manner, and was red with fury. He took his hat on and off, and ran his calloused hands through his balding hair like he often did when he was frustrated. Jake tried to comfort my mother. I knew he found the whole situation comical. Thankfully he kept silent about the matter.

"Tomorrow you will personally go and give a formal apology to Mr. and Mrs. Weathers as well as Miss Elizabeth. You never treat a society woman in such a way. Take her out tomorrow. A boat ride would suffice. You will never find a wife if the columns find out about such conduct.”

I tried to hide my pleasure at that last request. "Yes sir.”

"Never have I seen such behavior. I expect so much more from you." he shook his head in disappointment.

"I am sorry father; I will go and apologize first thing after morning services.”

"Good boy" he sat back in his seat in exhaustion.

Now it was my turn to get comfortable. I had another chance with Elizabeth, if she would give me one. I leaned my head back and began rehearsing what I would say to the family; thankfully the universe had granted me the opportunity to redeem myself.