Chapter 31

Chapter 32

Juliana POV

Elizabeth walked down the staircase with a small suitcase filled with my things. She looked so sad. My father had disappeared and mother as well. I didn’t want to marry this vile man. I wanted Derek, and instantly felt immense regret over our time spent in anger. Now all I wanted was his strong arms holding me.

"Hurry up girl, I aint got all night. I got a train to catch."

Elizabeth's face looked of disgust all over. She leaned in close to me. "Juliana there’s a bit of money in the suitcase. I'm going to bring you home even if I have to come and rescue you myself. Write me as soon as you get there." She gave me a kiss on the cheek and the warmest embrace I have ever received. “I love you.”

"Come on!" Jack shoved Elizabeth back and jerked me towards the door by my arm.

"No". Elizabeth began to kick Jack and pound him with her fists in a frenzied panic. Elizabeth was crying hard. Jack grabbed me around the waist and pulled me to the door.

"Elizabeth stop it’s alright." She ran towards us. Jack heaved me into the carriage. I scratched at him and screamed at the top of my lungs. Elizabeth started thrashing around with the horses trying to unhitch them.

"Stop you insolent girl!" Jack yelled and shoved Elizabeth harder this time, to the ground.

She sat there, her hair un-done and ringing with sweat. "If you even lay a finger on my sister, I will hunt you done and personally slit your throat."

"Are you threatening me?"

"I'm promising you."

Jack snickered. Missy I am taking your sister half way across the country and there aint nothing you can do about it. So I suggest you stop fighting me, or else I'll slit your throat." He twirled his pocket knife around in his hand before jumping into the carriage.

I covered my ears with my hands trying to not hear Elizabeth’s screams and pleas.

"Put this cloak on, we don’t want anyone recognizing you now do we."

I looked up. Jack was a tall bulky man. He was smelly, hairy, and repulsive. And now I was his, All his.

"You know how to cook? Hey I'm talking to you woman, you know how to cook?"

"My name is Juliana, not woman." I barked back, remembering I had a back bone. He gave me a cold hard slap to the face. He grabbed my ear and jerked me forward, an inch from his face.

"I like feisty, but I don't do contradictions. I tell you what to do and you do it. You don't speak unless you’re spoken to, and you never talk back. We’re going to get out of this carriage and get on the train, my purtty little pocket knife is going to be resting against your back, try to run away and I will stab ya. Have I made myself clear?"

“I still think you’re a filthy pig worth no more than sour milk." He just chuckled.

"I'll break you. Just you wait.”

I walked to the train head down, enveloped in a cloak, his blade pressed against my back.

"All aboard to California,” rang the voice of the conductor.

We took our seats in the back of the train. It wasn't like the train car I had traveled in when I was eight. It was crowded and full of women with crying babies. The women wore frocks like the ones our maids wore. Babies were red faced and clutching their worn looking mothers. I didn't belong here with my fair skin and expensive clothing. I hid my UN blemished hands that had never known a day’s work within my cloak. I leaned against the window and wished for Derek, for my own bed, and my sister.

Whatever happened I would fight. I would never stop trying. I would get away and marry Derek and live my fairy tale. I wouldn't let Jack break my spirit. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction. This was just going to be temporary. It had to be.  Jack slipped his hand around my waist. I wanted to chew off his arm.

"Might want to get some rest sweet darling. It’s a long way to California."

I would rest. Rest the best I could give the smell and sitting by jack. Rest was the only way to escape though. In my dreams I wouldn't be here with Jack on this train heading to California. I would be free. A word I thought I would never have to long for. A word I thought I would never have to be without.  A word I now desired for more than anything, to just be free.

**************************************************************

Hello,

I know I know you are all sad about Juliana and Jake. Don't point your finger at me! Not even I could have seen that one coming! It seems Mrs. Weathers is on my team, not that she knows who I am either. I did leak out that little tid bit about Elizabeth. I will take the due credit for that one. I'm just so clever! Don’t be mad, I had to send Juliana off. She was catching on to my little game, not that she had the right person. No I am not Lilly! Her heart is in the right place but her skills just aren't up to par. Dear dear Elizabeth just wouldn't listen to the warnings. Whatever happens to her is her own fault. Take a lesson from Juliana. See what happens when you start to understand what going on then you have to go. I couldn't possibly be exposed!  I'm just getting started here! Figured out who I am yet? Let me give you a hint....You’ve met me. Till next time,

                                                                                                                                      ~M