Chapter 38

Chapter 39

Lydia POV

“Wake up sleepyhead!”

My eyes fluttered open.  There she was. Mary, peering over my bed. We’ve got to collect eggs. Come on!”

I quickly got out of bed and followed down the stairs. The cotton dress I wore fit perfectly, and I was grateful that Mary was willing to share her minimal wardrobe.

Mary was kind but far too happy for this time of morning. We trudged outside, with our baskets in tow. I listened to her rattle on about her job helping at a bakery during the summer, and how she wanted to open up her own shop some day. I collected eggs while she continued to talk about her childhood and plans for the future.

“What do you want to do molly?”

“I suppose just have a family of my own someday.”

“That may happen sooner than you think.”

“What are you alluding too?”

“I think every one of my brothers has eyes for you, especially Willy.”

My cheeks burned. I had vowed to not allow myself to love again, but I couldn’t deny my attraction to Will.

“Oh sweet corn it’s true. You like him don’t you?”

“Mary we have chores to get on with, and aren’t you supposed to be heading in to the bakery?” I feigned displeasure and continued on gathering the eggs. She just giggled and skipped off towards the house. I knew everyone would be gathering around the table for breakfast soon, but I decided to just continue on. I fed the chickens, milked the cow and began to weed the garden. I wiped my brow as the noonday sun began beating against me relentlessly.

“You look hot.”

“Excuse me?”

“The weather is pretty nasty today.”

“I suppose it is.” I wasn’t going to give will the time of day.

“You like horses?”

“As much as any woman does.”

“Why don’t you come for a ride with me? I have to fix a few fences along the ridge.”

“I'm weeding the garden Will.” I kept my back turned away from him. I wanted desperately to go, but how could I forget Jake?

“Miss Molly, let’s just have some fun. Don’t make me beg.”

“Alright. We ride out to the ridge and that’s it.” I gave him my sternest tone. He smiled at me with his boyish grin, and in one motion he pulled me up on the back of his horse.

“Hang on.”

“Will not too fast!” I shrieked in delight as he galloped off. I held onto him tightly, and rested my head against his broad shoulder.

He finally slowed his horse, and we were strolling along a dirt path. “Your horse is lovely.”

“I thought you didn’t care for horses that much.”

“I can appreciate their beauty.”

“I appreciate yours.”

I turned away from him. Tears started to fall. Why do these men liking a plain worthless girl like me.

“Why do you keep everyone away at arm’s length? You haven’t let any of us be close to you.”

“Allowing people to be close allows you to get hurt.”

“Let’s just take that risk.”

“You don’t know me Will.”

“Will you please let me try?”

Before I got a chance to answer he kissed me. It wasn’t like

when I kissed Jake. I wasn’t magical; it didn’t send shivers up my spine. It was just nice, simple as that. It was nice and it felt safe. There weren’t any rules against it, there was no secrecy, and Will looked at me in a kind and gentle way. I felt good about myself, not distraught over my social standing. He pulled away, but I leaned forward and started kissing him more.

“Molly you’re so pretty.”

“No I'm not, I’m so plain.”

“I don’t think you are able to see how great you truly are.”

“When people look down on you all your life, you start to believe it.”

“Well, I think you are extraordinary, and I'm so happy I picked you up that day.”

He turned around his horse and we trotted off towards home. I quickly gathered the rest of the vegetables and hurried back to the house to help Sandra and Mary with supper.

“Molly, where have you been all day?”

“I'm sorry Sandra; I went for a ride with Will.” Mary nudged me knowingly. I tried to not laugh out loud.

“Marry dear will you hand me the flour, it is in the cabinet?”

“I’ll be right back.” I walked down the hallway towards the cabinet. The flour was on the top shelf. I tried to reach it but I ended up pulling down a stack of papers and a few jars. As I tried to put everything in order a piece of fabric sticking out of a trunk caught my eye. It was hidden away in the very back of the pantry. I cautiously opened the trunk. Inside was a men’s pair of riding boots, and a coat.

I froze. The coat was wool, it was beautiful.  It was made for a young man and initials were stitched onto the pocket. W.L.D

I grabbed the coat and ran.

“Molly where is the flour?”

I didn’t answer. Willy came in through the door.

“What is your name?”

He looked horrified. “Where did you get that?”

“I said what is your name?” I was shaking with fear, anger, and maybe shock.

“William.”

“William what?!” Everyone was coming in now. They were all staring in confusion.

“William Luke Danes.”

I sat down in the chair.  He looked at me with a sad tired expression.

“You’re my father.”