Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Elizabeth POV

It had been two weeks since the Dallas ball. The weather was beginning to become increasingly warmer, much to my dismay, and the planning of summer socials was in full swing. Father had hinted that guests would be attending dinner tonight, which was very uncommon.  

We often hosted dinner parties, but just a few guests attending was most infrequent.  I had been trying to cipher who it could be for a generous portion of the day. My mother who was only given a day of preparation for this dinner was flying around the house in a frenzy.

"Elizabeth, white or bone colored linen for the table?” She looked at me expectantly, as if the linen would determine the failure or success of the evening.

Dutifully I engaged in the preparations."Mother, bone is much more in this season.”

"Juliana could you please be of help," came my mother’s exasperated request.

Juliana was seated on a chair across from the dining room where my mother and I were busy giving instructions to the servants. As usual she was engrossed in a book; something no doubt lusty and unfit for a lady, but it wouldn’t be Juliana if she wasn’t carrying out some form of disobedience. She glanced up, and looked at us with a bored expression. Her emerald green eyes narrowed intensely.

She had been acting more irritable than usual this past week. Perhaps it’s her visit from Mother Nature. Her usual brooding expression had turned into a full scowl and her cheeks were rubbed vigorously with rouge. This dark contrast to her pale skin and chestnut hair made her look angry and forlorn.

"I say red, it will match Lizzy's complexion.”

My cheeks burned. My rosy cheeks had always been pinched as a child. Now I couldn't tolerate them, and became fretful when someone mentioned my cursed complexion.  I beseeched my father to order the finest powder from Paris due to these intolerable facial features.

Once again my sister was trying to anger me in any way possible. "I am not a child; do not call me by that name, Prissy.” Juliana abruptly closed her book and hurriedly left to her room with a curtly expression. She resented that name more than any other. Perhaps it was because of the old feline that resided outside had been given that name. It often smelt and hissed at any who dared to cross his path. I myself felt that it was a quite fitting name for Juliana.

"Elizabeth," my mother sighed.

I knew it was spiteful, but it was so grievous that Juliana could throw her tantrum and yet my mother was disappointed in me for one distasteful expression. I was always nearly forgetting that any lapse in manners would result in some type of retribution. "Lucy tell cook we want roast duck for dinner," I said trying to change the subject.

"That is perfect Elizabeth.” My mother gleamed at me.

I smiled to myself. I was always able to lift my mother’s spirits from any foul mood with a notable decision concerning floral arrangements, linen colors, or meal selections. It was a minor talent, but a talent none the less.

"Mother, has father expressed to you who are coming?”

"No dear, he is being quite mysterious. All I know is to be prepared for four in attendance.”

“I suppose we will find out.” I left the parlor to begin getting myself ready.

It is proper for the daughters of the house to come to dinner last. It gives them the opportunity to make a grand entrance you might say. At least that is what Ms. Sandra’s book of etiquette and decorum states.  One of my dresses had been delivered that very morning; much to my delight. It was the beautiful blue one that highlighted my eyes.