Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Elizabeth’s POV

A good garden picnic was something I used to attend. Most of the time ladies sat in huddled circles addressing the horrendous fashion choices and most eligible bachelors. Hushed whispers and sighs identified any female engagement.

Mrs. Clementine came from new money. Her husband had struck it rich in a gold mine out west. Although this caused her to be looked down upon at first she quickly proved herself with her grand parties. She was then accepted into the inner circle of high society. I suppose she figured herself fortunate.

Mrs. Clementine lived in a newly built mansion on Main Street. I handed the address card to the coach driver, giving him a warm smile and meeting his eyes. Something I would have never done before. I now see them as equals; not just servants and slaves. Having been a slave to etiquette and tradition I have begun to imagine the pain they must feel. With a small jolt the coach began to pull down the quiet dirt road.

The horses found their rhythm, and I listened to the clopping of their hooves. I ran my small gloved hand over the velvet cushions, thinking about the tears, the laughter, and the carefree moments shared in this very carriage.

I couldn’t deny the beauty of Georgia. Each Victorian style home and golden fields high with wheat and cotton were stunning. Soon we were passing a large lake. Little boys ran about as their nannies chased them; insisting they not get near the water. Of course the little boys never obeyed. Girls were much easier to control.

I often enjoyed imagining myself walking by the water or taking a stroll through the grand town square. For some reason I never had a spare moment to do so. The weather was either too warm for my pale complexion, or my male companion was more interested in watching me sit idly like a porcelain doll rather than take a walk.

Today was one of those rare days that the sky was perfectly clear and the sun was radiant. A slight breeze broke through the heats iron barrier.

 The bustling city scenery then changed into beautiful mansions that had a commanding presence about them. I couldn’t help to wonder if those magnificent walls concealed a grieving body behind them. I know mine did. Maybe it always had.

Steven slowed the horses until they were brought to a halt at 2244 Main Street. No turning back now I thought. Steven opened the door and offered me his arm. I looked at his expectant face and laid my hand atop his.

The sun blinded me as I stepped out from the darkness of the coach. The mansion was truly splendid. The house was a rich crème color with beautiful vibrant colored flowers covering the yard. Wrought iron gates shielded the mansion from the outside world and the greenery that covered the ground walls made it truly breathtaking. Ladies were seated on the large veranda porch lazily sipping lemonade and tea.

The lawn was manicured and sparkling pond greeted you as you neared the door. Already other women were making their way to the grand mansion, and others could be heard laughing gaily from the garden. "I am most appreciative of your invitation, and your home is truly lovely Mrs. Clementine,” I said as I entered the grand foray.

 "It is always a pleasure Miss Weathers.” Mrs. Clementine was a tall slender woman that was blessed with a beautiful unique face. She was nearing forty years old, but still had the skin of a young girl. Her brown hair complimented her light brown eyes. She had liveliness to her that I envied. I had little time to take in the decorum of the house before I was ushered into the garden.

A soft melody of violinists mixed with laughter filled the air. Blankets lay across the grass and under the shade of the trees. Poppies, tulips, and daisy's were everywhere.

They created a beautiful sea of color. Waiters and servants circled the yard, offering champagne and pastries. I quickly found a young group of ladies I had attended gatherings with in the past.

They were absorbed in a conversation of their own. I assumed they would be descent company considering I wouldn't have to speak. I really had no desire to converse with anyone.

 A few minutes passed when the ladies finally spoke to me. They looked unsure and hesitant. "What did you do this past summer Miss Weathers,” one of the girls asked attentively. I looked at the ten girls before me.

 They were poised, beautiful, and hungry for a good scandal, just like I been in the past. I saw my reflection in each of their bright empty eyes. I laughed to myself and narrowed my eyes playfully. "Who wants to hear a story?" I knew they had heard the rumors and the theories about what happened to my family and numerous members of other people’s family, considering the way they glanced at one another.

I don't know what possessed me to do this but, I leaned in a bit closer ready to tell my tale. Someone might as well know what really took place.

They needed to hear the story from the heart of the one who was thrown about right in the middle of it all. The story so carefully documented and speculated by society’s gossip columns is the one we wanted them to believe. Not the real one. No, that one was far too secret and scandalous for society to hear.

Closing my eyes, I was able to drown out every sound except my own breathing. I was overcome with a sense of peace and contentment. I could finally speak about these matters without the guilt of my mother’s words looming over me.

The realization made me laugh to myself. The words flowed from my lips. "You see, last summer it all started when my sister and I were getting ready to attend the Dallas Ball.....” My story had begun. I finally felt free.