Chapter Eleven.

Chapter Eleven.

            The second hospital scare was worse than the first. Maybe it was because of the stabbing in my side but I have never been so scared in my entire life. It didn’t surprise me when Justin carried me into this department for the second time this year that the staff dropped everything they were doing to help us. This was probably the only time I was thankful that he was famous.

            Their routine was the same as the first time. I was put on the huge bed and stripped of my clothes as the bright light came into my eyes and I tried to stay calm through the episodes of pain that came and went. The doctor that was helping me this time was a girl, and she did the same thing as the last one and brought the ultrasound machine in front of me to find the heartbeat.

            “Try to relax.” She soothed. “You need to relax.”

            I gave her the dirtiest look I could possibly find when once again, the stabbing pain entered into my side for the tenth time tonight. How on earth could I possibly relax when it felt like I was literally dying from the inside out? If this was how labor was then Justin better re-think having four kids. He is past the point of insanity if he thinks I’d ever do this again.

            “I can’t relax.” I spat. “I can’t be in labor either. It’s way too early.”

            “Sometimes this happens.” She replied. “We have plenty of pre-mature births here.”

            Rolling the usual gel over my stomach, she swirled the Doppler around but the strange thing was unlike all of the other times, there was no swish swish or thump thump. Instead it was deafening silence. I thought she wasn’t doing it right and that it wasn’t on but when I saw the light blinking on the machine my heart just stopped beating in my chest. I refused to look at Justin and I refused to look at the doctor. I just stared down at my stomach and prayed that she was still in there.

            Immediately putting the Doppler back on the machine, she raced out of the room and I heard her scream for nurses or doctors to come in, I couldn’t tell which because I was frozen in place. It was almost as if everything was moving around me in slow motion and all I could hear was the beating of my heart, slowly but surely pumping away while hers currently was not. She wasn’t breathing and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

            “You need to count to ten.” The doctor put a mask over my face and my eyes practically bugged out of my head.

            “What the hell are you doing?!” Justin screamed and tried to remove the mask but the doctor pushed him back and that’s when I noticed he was crying. He was past the state of crying, he was sobbing, and all he could do was stare at me as I had no choice but to breathe in whatever was being pressed through the mask.

            “We’re doing an emergency c-section.” The doctor said sternly. “If you want this baby to have any chance at making it you’ll back off and let us do our job. Lord knows we let you do yours.”

            I tried to hear everything but my eyes were falling the more and more I tried to keep them open. I heard the yelling and I heard the screaming. I could feel them running with me on the bed to the nearest operating room but all I could do was let my eyes get heavier with each second that passed by.

            “Count to ten Sophia.” The doctor said out loud and continued down the hallway.

            “One….” I tried to stay awake but slowly, my eyes were shutting and my mind was getting closer to reaching the point of darkness.