Chapter 5

7 days after Lexa and Jaha made the deal

"Today, I will choose the pairings for sparring." Titus says. He had already discussed with Lexa who to pair up strategically, so they would have the best chance of getting married before Lexa's demise. Titus notices that the children from the ark and the clans were separated all the time. Occasionally Clarke would say a few words to Wells, but that was all. Maybe it was harder for the children because they didn't understand what was going on, but it had to end. The children groan as he begins choosing pairs. "Raven and Gregor." He says. Raven slowly, but surely makes her way to the boy. She made it her duty the first day to remember everyone's name, much like Clarke. "Roma and  Nic. Zoe and Mitch. John and Guara."

"Which John?" Murphy speaks up.

"Mbege." Titus says irritatedly. Murphy didn't feel bad, it was a good question. "Brent and Cah. Maia and Peter. Jack and Jessica. Bree and Aden. Nathan and Juli. John Murphy and Mari. Wells and Vicky. Clarke and Bellamy." Everyone scurries to their partner and Titus watches, making sure they are going to the right person. Clarke finds Bellamy easily since he is the last person left. They don't make eye contact and stare at the ground. "Fight until someone is down, you may begin." Titus says ands throws his hand down. Clarke turns to look at Bellamy. They both already have staffs in their hands. Clarke is nervous. She could beat Maia and most kids here, but he was by far the oldest and the biggest. He stares into her big eyes, they reminded him of a picture of the ocean he'd seen in a book. He remembers his sister and how Clarke and Octavia made similar faces when they are nervous. How would Octavia feel if she had to fight someone his age?

"I'm not gonna hurt you." Bellamy says to Clarke. She smiles at him.

"Thank you." Clarke responds, her smile brighter than anyone's he had seen before. He smirks back at her.

"No more talking." Titus says, even though he wanted them to like one another.  "Begin." Clarke nods and bends her knees ready to fight. Bellamy copies her but doesn't raise his staff. He wasn't gonna hurt a little girl. She moves closer and hits his leg. He groans. She hit it hard. Titus smiles. "Again." Clarke does it again, a bit lighter this time. Once she is close enough she whispers, "Get down." He drops down and she holds the staff to his neck.

"Chil daun." Titus says. Clarke relaxes and offers Bellamy her hand. He grabs it and stands . "This is a perfect example." Titus begins, "Of compassion and strength. Not only did Clarke win, but she helped him."

"Bellamy did well too, Seda." Clarke adds.

"Yes." Titus says and notices Bellamy staring at the back of Clarke's head. "Yes indeed." The others stay silent, annoyed at Clarke showing off. "Carry on."

After about four hours of sparring Titus stops the children. "I have a game for you." Titus says.

"A game?" Murphy asks. Clarke was confused too, Titus never let fun get in the way of duty.

"Yes. A hunt, into the woods to find: beetle moss, oak leaves, and slug juice." Titus says, "The first people back win."

"What are the groups?" Wells asks, his eyes fart from the sky people to Clarke.

"You will be paired with the same people you sparred with." Titus says, half of the kids groan and other stay silent. Clarke and Bellamy were silent. They didn't mind being partners, Bellamy didn't particularly like being beaten by a six year old, but he wasn't going to hurt her and he didn't even know if he could.

"What time will we need to be back Seda?" Clarke asks.

"If you aren't back before dusk, you will have a chat with the commander." Titus says. The grounder children nod obediently. "You may leave now." Titus says and the kids run into the woods. Titus walks down the hall into the throne room. "Heda." He bows to Lexa.