C H A P T E R T W E N T Y - T H R E E

• CHAPTER TWENTY THREE •
I AM A QUEEN
••••♛••••

I would be lying if I said it wasn't awkward between the four of us, standing outside my door in a weird emotional Mexican stand off.

"Hey guys!"

"We were looking for you everywhere, we were worried again.."

"I'm fine. I was just horse riding..."

"Aura! That's a really expensive gown!"

"Sorry, I got carried away, besides my face has been mashed in and I look like a swollen potato, the gown isn't making me look any better." I murmur at her as she shakes her head. She moved forward, lifting my face to look at my now purple/yellow bruises.

I looked terrible.

"You look better." She lied, causing me to roll my eyes.

"What brings you both here?"

"Do we need a reason to see you? Didn't know you where that uncomfortable with us Your Majesty." Holgan says, his eyes filled with anger.

"Wow..." Fabien commented, earning a hard stare from Holgan.

"Holgan..." Fiona began, turning to me with a smile.

"The council members have announced the news, tomorrow should be interesting."

"Yeah..." I replied simply. It was awkward between us and I didn't know what to do. Fiona was my best friend, and yet- I didn't trust her right now. I know it wasn't fair but what was I suppose to do.

"Aura, I'm going to go, are you okay here." Fabien asked.

"Why wouldn't she be." Holgan buts in, as Fabien just ignores him keeping his eyes on mine.

He was asking me the silent question. He was asking if I felt safe enough to be with them.

"I'll be fine..." I answer him.

"Good. I'll see you tomorrow bright and early, so we can talk over some stuff." He says, giving me a smile.

"Thank you for today." I giggle at him with a smile.

"Anytime." He says turning to leave me alone with Holgan and Fiona.

I looked at his retreating steps before moving down the hall towards the office.

"What gotten into you. Since the fight you've been acting weird."

"I'm just...shaken up that's all."

"Want to talk about it?"

"I'm fine. I'll deal with it."

"We've sent out a picture of the assassin- to see if anyone knows anything about him." Holgan says, standing by the window in my office.

"Let's hope something turns up, he was a professional. I don't think any thing will be gained from asking around for him."

"We need to be carefully of the people around you. They might send someone else again." She says with genuine worry.