C H A P T E R O N E

O N C E U P O N A N I G H T M A R E
••••♛••••
11 Years Ago

My eyes sprung open as I felt cold, familiar hands wrap around my shoulders, waking me from my slumber.

"Princess! Wake up, quickly." I heard as I was being shaken back and fourth in urgency, while I tried to wipe the sleep from my eyes and facing panicked, familiar dark brown eyes. "Lady Kenner?"

"The King has asked me to escort you to safety. You must follow me." She whispered, helping me out of my bed. My mind kick started into gear as I grabbed my rain boots, sticking my feet in before I felt Lady Kenner cover me with a cloak.

Loud banging sounded outside my door, and a women started screaming while men barked short commands.

"What's happening, what's that noise?" I asked Lady Kenner, as she bent down to look at me.

"It's going to be okay? I'm going to keep you safe alright?" She told me, smoothing down the locks of my hair as I nodded at her.

She stood up and walked to my balcony opening the doors and looking out before walking back to my bed and reaching under my pillow and pulling out my gold and ruby diamond dagger, my father had gifted me on my fourth birthday, tucking it my left with a smile. She grabbed my right hand, pulling me towards my walk in closet in urgency- shutting the door behind her, and stalked towards a rack of my evening dresses, pushing hard against the wall to reveal a opening I didn't even know was there.

She took out her pod, twisting her round circular device to use as a source of light.

A heard more loud banging and shouting as she ushers me forward towards the secret passage.

Once inside she shuts the door, covering us in complete darkness except for the light from the pod.

"Lady Kenner what's happening?" I asked her in the darkness.

"Let's get out of here and I'll tell you everything okay?"

Lady Kenner was my 'nanny' of sorts- that also carried duties of being my personal guard. Father trusted her with my life, more than anyone. She was never scared, and was always strong and fierce, but today this version of her was scaring me.

"Come on." Lady Kenner says, grabbing my hands and leading me down the walkway.

We walked and walked, our footsteps clicking against the stone floor until finally we reached a metal door, with the ancient cress of our household, a road with thorns wrapping around two swords in a cross shape in the middle.

Lady Kenner bent down to look me straight in the eyes, holding my hands softly "I need you to stay here, don't move. Wait for me, okay?"

"Are you getting Papa?"

"I will do my best, don't go anywhere if you hear anything run out the door behind you to the forest. Get as far away as you can." She warned me before rubbing my shoulders and turning to run down another long deep corridor.

I watched her disappear into the darkness as I tried hard to listen out for any strange noises while trying to calm down my fearful beating heart.