C H A P T E R T H R E E

• CHAPTER THREE •
TO THOSE WE SERVE
••••♛••••

After the altercation I had with Matron, I was content on keeping my head down and out of trouble.

The rest of the day had been uneventful, but there was a sense of excitement in the air because of the special guest we would be welcoming at dinner this evening.

The maids were all talking about it.

How a member of the council would be meeting with Lord and Lady Flynn and being favoured in the name of the Queen.

This was the reason I'd come to Flynn manor.

After months of being undercover id finally get some vital information on how to over throw my witch of a mother.

If I knew anything about my mother it's that she would never favour anyone- so I didn't particularly believe the words that were going around, making the servant have hope of a better life.

It was like this in Highlander now.

And I hated it.

If you served a Lord and Lady high in status, you generally got a better life and perks too- a sort of incentive making more lower class people work for the high class. You got more wages, a better place to stay and more workers means less work loads.

Highlander has changed drastically since my father died. It was once a prosperous city, where natural minerals tended to grow because of the water that surrounded its borders.

It used to be fair play for anyone- people would come to the capital, Gaia, to seek job opportunities and better their quality of life.

My father and our ancestors built this land on the idea that anyone could rise above their stations, if they worked hard and were loyal enough to their king- but that idea died when my father did, and my mother stole the throne.

She was selfish, cunning and evil.

She also wanted me dead- so there wasn't any hope left for our motherly bond.

Which is why the idea that the Lord and Lady Flynn would gain a chance to move up in status fairly tonight was very unlikely.

Unless they were planning to do something for the council that wasn't exactly legal or acceptable.

I suddenly felt grateful that Matron had assigned me to the dinner table- this was after all why I was here in hiding.

To gain as much information as I could about the council.

Those backstabbing old toads where the only thing standing between taking my throne and killing my mother. I needed to know who is loyal and who isn't- so when the time came I knew who to be weary of.

"Girls, gather round." Matron called all the maids as she appeared through the door, wearing the nicest black gown I've seen her own.

"Tonight we have an important guest. A member from Highland Royal court is coming, so we must be on our best behaviour for our Lord and Lady." She told us before stopping and laying her cold glaring eyes at me.