C H A P T E R F O U R

• CHAPTER FOUR •
A FAMILIAR FACE
••••♛••••

The words Casey had uttered seemed to take a few minutes to filter to my head so I could make sense of them.

She's dead?

Mother is really dead.

I knew I had to feel some type of way.

But I didn't.

Not one shroud of emotion.

Except relief.

Which was not at all normal.

My mother had gained the throne that had belonged to my father from scheming, murdering and a unhealthy dose of backstabbing.

A lot of people assumed I was sent away from the palace for protection- which was partly true. I needed protection from my own mother.

She was pure venom and poisoned anything she touched- I wouldn't put anything pass her. If I hadn't left the palace 15 years ago- I'm very sure I would be dead.

I had wished for this moment every since she killed Papa. Ever since she ruined my life and the lives of all those that I care about.

Did it make me a bad daughter? A bad person? Did it make me human at all to hate the women who gave birth to me?

I had far to many questions, and the first ones I wanted answered would be by Casey.

A laugh rang out from the table as the minister laughed in cheer. He was happy? Why?

All the maids were looking at each other, shocked by the news but not wanting to show any emotion to our masters.

"This is great news! The throne will be in shambles, and I will be there to take order." He said with a smile.

I peaked at my Aunt- and found all the colour drain from her face.

"H-how?" She muttered.

"She was poisoned." Casey replies point blank as my aunt stated back at her husband in shock.

"This wouldn't be your doing darling?"

"Whatever do you mean dear. You should know better to not make such claims and ask such questions." He says at her with a darkened expression- making my aunt cower in her seat.

"What about the runaway princess?" Lord Flynn suddenly asked- as I eyed Casey from where I was standing. The seemingly drunk Minister shot back his wine and leaned back in his seat unbothered at the previous question.

"What about her?"

"There are whispers that she may not be dead."

"She's dead. Kathrine would never allow her daughter to be alive and take her throne. Regardless- she's a 25 year old who knows nothing about being a queen. The people won't stand for it." He laughed out drinking from his glass as my hands into fist.

"Even by some miracle she does ascend and proves she has her powers, that who controls the King and Queen controls the Kingdom. If she's anything like her mother, she won't see me coming." he smiles, making me angrier and angrier.

"Since Queen Kathrine is dead the only one with a strong stake to the throne is me. My wife is the only one left related to the royal bloodline- since Kathrine had all of the late Kings family hanged and assassinated. Besides, I've got the council in the palm of my hands- it's a done deal." He muttered, sipping on his wine in glee again.

This was all my mothers doing...she couldn't even get punished for all the suffering she's put everyone through. She was dead- by the hands of those she had protected and backed up. They'd stabbed her in the bank and I couldn't even laugh in her face at the sigh of her seeing the monsters she had created.