C H A P T E R T W E N T Y

• CHAPTER TWENTY •
DEATH AT THE PARTY
••••♛••••

"Thank you for your beautiful gifts, please enjoy tonight!" I say smiling at the old, wrinkled man who seemed like he would shatter into pieces if I just taped him.

Fiona came to stand beside me as I motioned to her.

"I swear if I have to keep this fake ass huge smile any longer I'm going to tear my face in half." I mutter into her ear, as she laughs and goes back to her position.

Tonight a banquet/ball was being held for the town chancellors to meet me and ask anything they needed or ideas they had about their districts.

It was long overdue, so I had been moving around and talking, smiling and doing my head in, discussing politics with men that seemed all over 70, balding and loved to talk about money.

They gave me elaborate gifts, and then proceeded to talk about how they weren't being funded enough. I could smell the corruption in the room it was suffocating.

Unfortunately I was well aware how this twisted hierarchy worked. These men where direct contact with the people outside the palace.

I haven't met with a lot of the commoners yet, so what these Chancellors went and told people outside the palace mattered a lot, and the last thing I needed was to give ammunition right now to the council to use the against me.

I wasn't blind. I could see what was happen here, but I couldn't fight it today- tomorrow? These corrupted imbeciles wouldn't be so lucky.

Let them enjoy it while they still can.

Attention was called for everyone to go and sit at the long table as dinner was ready, making me dread the horrible table talk I would have to do.

God help me.

The dress I was wearing, feelings like weights with the shoes aching my feet. At least I could take them off under the table.

I sat down first, followed by all the men around me taking their seats.

What was up with that?

Was there no women chancellors? I remember there being some when my father was on the throne. There was no character at this table and it was actually making me yawn.

"You majesty, how are you finding royal duties?" Ipal asked. Cutting into his meat.

How I hated it when he spoke. He always had something offensive, rude and snarky to say.

"Very enjoyable Minister Ipal. I have yet to meet with the people but I was actually going to suggest a tour soon! It would be nice to see all the hard work the chancellors and council men at putting into making Highlander the best it could be."

"That's a great idea..." he compliments, having me a tad worried. Ipal complimenting me is just wrong in so many ways.

"Thank you..."

"It would be great if you had Highlanders future king touring with you."  He commented earning a murmur of agreements down the table.