43

ISABELLA 

A variety of scents, ranging from paprika to nutmeg to melted cheese, filtered throughout the rather big confines of the kitchen. The kitchen smelt like home.  The sounds of pots and pans hitting the counter brought back a sense of familiarity and nostalgia. This would be the first significant holiday celebrated away from home. It was sad to know that I wouldn't be enjoying a turkey feast with my family, but it was still heartwarming to know I was able to experience this with Harry.  

I watched Samantha stir the pot of basil chicken soup. I've never had it before, but the heavenly scent that was coming from the pot made my stomach grumble with excitement. "That smells amazing," I tell her. She turns around, a warm smile on her lips. 

"Thank you, Isabella." Harry's mother looks at me once more, her lips still upturned into a smile, and faces the steaming pot of soup. 

"You can call me Izzy, if you like."

"Is that what you prefer?" 

"Yeah. Isabella seems too... formal." 

"Harry seems to have taken a liking to formalities," Samantha giggles. Her smile falling slightly at the mention of her son's name. This only feeds my curiosity more about Harry and his relationship with his family. 

The little that I know about Samantha, I know that she was left to be a single mother for many years after Mr. Styles, Harry's dad, left them. Harry only being two and Ben four. I had so much respect for Samantha. Having to take on the job of being a single parent had to be difficult. I couldn't imagine how it must have been. It made sense that she got married. She probably wanted to give her boys a better life, a life that she couldn't give them on her own. 

"I'm so glad that Harry has found a nice girl like you," Samantha brings me out of my thoughts. I look over at where she stands, her body leaning against the counter. She has a warm smile on her lips, her hands folded and sitting on the countertop. "He has gone through so much stuff and so many hardships. Harry has always had a lot of pent up anger inside of him. But with you," she pauses. Her eyes glass over, tears flighting to fall. "But with you, he seems happy. I haven't seen him this happy in years." 

My heart warms at her words. A fluster of butterflies eating up inside of me. I knew that Harry had a lot of pent up emotions. Emotions that he hasn't opened up to me about. I knew that with me he was a lot kinder, but I hadn't realized how blatant it had been. "I don't know what to say," I smile shyly at her. I can feel my cheeks blushing at her words. 

"Thank you. Thank you for choosing to be with my son. I know that sounds silly but as a mother, you want your children to be happy. You want them to find someone that will give them all the happiness that you fail to give. I was worried that Harry would never find that. I was worried that he'd get too caught up in his lifestyle of partying and drinking that he'd never find the right girl to settle down with. I see how he looks at you, how protective he is over you. It's all I ever want for my boy." 

"That's a lot of pressure," I laugh lightly. Samantha joins in on my light laughter, her lips quirking up into a smile. "I really, really like your son. He's amazing. He's smart, funny, kind - he's the best there is." 

Samantha sniffles, her fingers brushing back a few fallen tears. "I'm sorry," she chuckles. "I'm just so happy." 

I walk over to Harry's mother and wrap my arms around her into a hug. She wraps her arms around me and holds me into a motherly embrace. I pull back. She is smiling at me, her eyes glistening. 

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course dear." 

I take a deep breath, the words swimming inside my mind. I search for the right way to ask without offending or crossing any boundaries. "Harry's dad, his real dad... what happened to him? Harry hasn't mentioned much about him."