18

Thinking Out Loud - Ed Sheeran

ISABELLA

The mouth watering aroma of oregano and tomato drifted throughout the spacious apartment.

I sat back on the leather couch, sipping on a glass of La Pin red wine. The aftermath of a delicious dinner still sitting at the pit of my stomach. The sweet sounds of Louis Armstrong's What A Wonderful World drifted throughout the apartment. I laid my head back against the couch, my eyes shut, as I absorbed the words that were sang around me. The smooth taste of the red wine slipped through my lips, gliding it's way down my throat. In this moment I was content.

"Babe?" I was snapped out of my dream like state. My eyes fluttered open only to be met with a pair of flustered blue eyes. "What are you thinking about?" He held my body closer to his own. I could feel the heat radiating off of him through the thin layer of my silk shift dress. His thumb ran up and down my exposed arm, sending a shiver down my spine.

"Nothing really." I said, my eyes focused on his lips and back on his piercing blue ones. "Dinner was amazing," I whispered. My fingers threaded through his hair. "Thank you." I kissed his lips lightly, pulling back and laying my head on his shoulder.

"You're welcome, El." He kissed the top of my head. His face buried into my neck, his arms holding me tight. As we sat there, La Vie En Rose began to play. "I love this song," He muttered. I softly hummed in response.

"It's beautiful." I whispered, my fingers still playing with his hair.

"I like you, Izzy. I like you a lot." He whispered into my skin. His lips leaving a trail of kisses down my neck and back up to my jaw.

"I like you too," I whispered back. I take another sip of my wine.

Everything in this moment felt right. A man holding me tight. A man who liked me and cared about me. I felt safe. He was safe. This was safe.

Chase began to sing along with Louis Armstrong's strong voice. His sweet voice drifting into the warm apartment. "Hold me close and hold me fast, the magic spell you cast, this is la vie en rose."

"I didn't know you sang," I pulled my head back so that our eyes met. His cheeks were flushed a light pink.

"Only to my shower, and pretty girls that sit on my lap." He winked, leaving a soft kiss to my cheek.

"I like it. You have a nice voice."

Chase smiled at me before whispering a simple, "Thank you."

We continued to sit in the living room of his lavish apartment. It was in these moments that I tend to forget that Chase too came from a life of wealth. Our lives were so similar in that way. He was a reminder of what I came from. I began wonder why he worked at the grocery store if he lived here. His parents were clearly supporting him as he finished school. If that was the case, then why was he working?

"Can I ask you something?" Chase looked over to me.

"Of course, babe."

I looked into his eyes. They were so soft and inviting. So safe. "If your parents are well off and helping you out, why do you work at the grocery store?"

Chase let out a loud scoff his eyes rolling. "My father said that I needed to get a job and learned how to work for my money. He helps me pay for this apartment and my schooling, but said that I need to learn what it means to earn my livings. Be man or some shit like that. It's pathetic really. Once I'm done with school than I will be making tons of money. But no, I have to work at a stupid grocery store because that was all I could get. It's ridiculous really but whatever."