7

Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles 

ISABELLA

The days went on. Summer had hit London hard. The days that were usually crisp were side swept by a complete heat wave. I had quickly developed a strong need for iced pops and gallons of water. Maybe a fan or two. Either way, I felt like my inner core was combusting slowly by the sauna that was my bedroom. 

"I'm so sorry Iz. I thought the AC in your room was going to be fixed by now. Shit, I feel so bad!" Jaz and I were sitting in the living room with the air conditioning on full blast. My bedroom, of course, being the only room in the house that doesn't have working AC. 

"Do you know when it'll be fixed?" 

"The guy said he was supposed to come by today, but I guess since there's a heat wave and all, a lot of people are needing their air conditioning. I'm so sorry babe! At least it's nice and cool out here?" 

The sun began to shine through the open bay window. The light hitting each reflective surface. It was bright and cheery. The sounds of the people below floated up, filling our apartment, and breaking the silence between us. It was days like these that I enjoyed living in a city. 

That was one thing that I truly loved about Manhattan. It was always busy with people and traffic. It was never silent. Silence can be rather eerie. It brings vulnerability to a situation. When the silence is broken, by a person or the world surrounding it, chaos is broken. Hearts begin to beat faster, anxiety rises. Sure silence can be good. When you want to read or if you're meditating. But at the same time, I'd much prefer noise over it all. City over country. 

"It's beautiful out." Jaz comments while leaning against the windowsill. Her blonde hair flutters in the wind, causing wisps of hair to catch onto her face. It doesn't seem to bother her though. "We should go and enjoy it." 

"And leave this beautiful, air conditioned apartment? Are you nuts?" I lightly joke. 

"You've been working all week that we haven't been able to hang out. Have roommate bonding. Come on! It's Saturday, the day of rest."

"Sunday is the day of rest." I smirk. 

"Saturday is the day of pre-rest. So let's go and rest, on the patio of that cute new restaurant that opened a few blocks away, with an iced cold mojito in our hands. What do you say?" If there was one thing that I have learnt since living with Jasmine Hemmings, is that you can never say no to her. 

"Fine. Let me just change into something that's not spandex shorts." She giggles but quickly nods. 

I hesitate before I open my door. I know what's about to hit me and I'd much rather avoid it like the plague. However, I have no choice. My bedroom, the holder of my clothes, is the only place for me to look half decent. With one last push, I open the door. Once I walk in, I am hit with a cloud of heat. "God it's like I just walked into the pits of hell." I yell. I can hear Jaz's giggles from where I stand. Curse you. 

Without hesitating, I quickly grab a light dress and sandals. I rush into our washroom, which is surprisingly cooler, and quickly change. "Alright, let's go." 

My sandals hit the pavement with a light thud. The burn of the hot cement made its way through the thick fabric of my sandal, touching and warming my soles ever so slightly. The warmth of the rays from the afternoon sun kiss my cheeks and I am automatically toasty. 

The cafe that had just opened up was quaint yet chic. The outside interior is a rosy red brick. There are two thin white panel's that line the outside creating an opening for the air to breeze through the cafe. A chalkboard sign hangs outside with the words "The Market" neatly written across. Jaz and I quickly order our mojitos and a side of nachos and make our way to the outside wooden picnic table and take a seat.