Part 28

Jace's POV

"Uh, you're not going." I interject, there was no way I was going to let that kid act like a hero. Just when I start thinking I might be able to get Clary back. 

"Why not?" He fire back. 

"Do you even know how to fight?" I mean surely. That kid acts like he knows it all, but I bet on the field he cries like a baby.

"Um, do you know who I am? Has Alec told you anything about me?" He asks sounding incredulous. Like I would know about him, only met him a couple of days ago. 

"Jace, he can come. He knows how to fight just as good as us without runes." Alec sayings. I know he is trying to stop the growing tension. 

"How?" I scoff. "What former mundie knows how to fight as well as us?" 

"Hmm, let's see," I stifle a groan. "I am a slayer, which in case you don't know, is fighting zombies. I have had to survive this world since a young age and have fought against people and creatures that want me dead. All without your runes." 

I could tell his anger was getting the better of him. So I decide to anger him some more. 

"Huh, how about you prove it?" I ask, acting like I can easily beat him. I probably can. 

"Let's go then." I arch my brow, not many people want to fight me. 

"Ahh, let's head to the training room first." Alec says. We both nod our heads and begin our walk over there. 

Entering the room I walk over to the mat and pull off my jacket as it would restrict my movements. Gavin does nothing. Stands there watching me for a second before I attack him.I glance over to where I think Clary is but she's not in the room. 

Shaking my head I aim a kick to his side but he easily steps back and grabs onto my foot. 

He pulls and I topple to the ground. He doesn't attack me just watches and waits for me to stand back up. I take this as my chance to fling myself forwards and try to punch him. Again he is able to block and then kicks my feet out from under me. He was fast, I give him that. 

"I'm not about fighting someone while they're down." He says. I snort. He's proud. He offers me his hand and I accept it to stand back up. 

We go back to fighting, I'm able to get in a few good punches. But then, so is he. 

We were moving so fast that I didn't even see his foot coming at me until it was too late. He knocked my legs out from under me. 

I start grinning as I stand up. 

"No mercy now?" I ask. When that is said, I don't hold back. 

"Why not?" He does not sound the least bit bothered. Or even tired. Like he did this daily. 

I throw a punch aimed towards his face, I hadn't tried there this whole time. He was able to throw up his arm and block me, even managing to speak. 

"I know how to fight Jace. I've been doing this my entire life." 

"So have I." I growl. I don't care if he can fight or not. He is taking Clary away from me. She is moving on and I can't stand that fact. I take my anger out on him, losing all sense of control. Not taking my usual amount of care during a fight and just attacking. Hoping I would break his defense with plain strength. 

I try and try and I just can't beat him. I can't break his defense he is just that good. 

As I was thinking Gavin punches me hard in the sternum. I get winded. Trying to suck in breaths of air, Gavin asks, 

"All done now?" Sounding bored. 

"Not in the slightest." I manage to gasp out. I narrow my eyes studying his movements. I haven't done this for a while. I can tell it looks unnatural on me yet very natural on him. 

He looks confident. Like he does this often. I guess zombies wait a second before attacking. I get tired of circling and pretend to punch with my right hand when I really go for a hard jab with my left to his nose. His nose is now bleeding and his eyes are tearing up. 

This doesn't stop him swinging a punch towards my side that was left unprotected during that attack. I attempt to block it, fully believing it was intended and not realising that it was a feint and he was actually aiming for the other side. He landed that punch with so much strength that I was sent flying. Actually flying. I was stunned. 

"Guys, the point has been made, you can stop fighting now." I hear the soft yet loud voice of Clary say. I watch as Gavin walks over to Clary. 

I can't help but feel disappointed. 

"Hey, don't feel bad, he beat me up to when we tried to spar. He is great." Alec says walking over to me. 

I don't really pay attention to him. I was watching Clary, the way she was moving, reacting to Gavin. I wanted that again. The playful side of her. The side that loved me. 

But I couldn't. 

Lost in my thoughts I almost don't hear her call everyone over. 

She was already talking when I came over. 

"-before was a lie, Malcolm isn't afraid, he had me under control. The herbal stuff doesn't work at all, he has a plan and I think he wants us to go to his house for it to work. Believe me now. The only way I can break his control is meeting Gavin's eyes. I don't know why, but that's how. I recommend locking me up in a room when he takes over again." 

"How do we know it's you right now?" I ask, she meets my eyes and I see her fight for control. Ultimately losing. 

"You don't" She says smirking. Then sprints from the room. 

I have a sinking feeling in my chest since I know why he was able to control her again. She met my eyes. I'm the reason she has left this time. 

A/N

Okay, it is currently 12:30 and I have written this. I am dead tired. I had work and did nothing but stand for three hours at a car meeting kinda thing. Doesn't sound like much but I'm dead. Schools out, I had a party and I'm updating two books. 

(Go check out my other book)

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this slightly longer chapter!