Chapter 37: Steps to Forgiveness

Nathan’s POV

I stared into the eyes of my father as he barged through Lea’s hospital door. My eyes shifted to my mother trailing in after him with her hand over her mouth.

She ran to the other side of Lea and grasped her hand. I ignored my father’s demands and watched my mother sob into Azalea’s arm. I didn’t pay attention before, but Lea had all the features of mom. The same high cheekbones, same build, same height. But Azalea had dad’s hair. Everyone always thought her hair looked more like my mother’s but they were wrong. She always had dad’s rich coppery hair color.

I snapped back to reality when dad yelled, “Nathan Aster Abel!” My glare shot towards him as I spat out bitterly, “What the hell are you guys doing here?”

“No, answer my question. What the hell is going on? Why is Azalea in the hospital,” he questioned. No more like demanded.

“She’s in a coma, now get the hell out of here before I call security,” I threatened my father.

The blaze in his eyes matched mine as he said, “I am Lea’s father. I have a right to be here just as much as you do.”

Just then, Dr. May and Dr. Hamilton walked through the door. I could feel the confusion on my parents’ face as the two doctors walked in. “Hello Mr. and Mrs. Abel. Thank you for coming on such short notice.”

My eyes swung to Dr. Hamilton in disbelief, “You called them here?” We had an agreement when we started Lea’s sessions.

“No, I called them here. Dr. Hamilton just advised me what to say,” Dr. May said calmly from beside him. I looked at the two doctors with a newfound rage. How could they?

“I’m glad they called us, Nathan. If they didn’t, then how were we supposed to find out that my baby is lying in a hospital bed,” my mom spoke quietly from Lea’s side. I could tell my mom was trying not to break down.

A pang of sympathy washed through me. I always had a soft spot for mom. My dad bit back at me, “It’s not like you were going to call us.”

I whipped my head around, “You’re damn right. I wasn’t going to. You’ve done enough to Azalea. Why should I tell you anything?”

Dr. May spoke up again, “We have other patients who are sleeping right now so we need to ask you guys to quiet down. We must speak in a calm manner or we will have to take this outside.”

My dad, my mom, and I all looked at each other before nodding solemnly and taking a seat around the couches the two doctors sat down on.

When we settled down, Dr. Hamilton introduced himself as Lea’s therapist. My parents began talking at once and I rolled my eyes, “What therapist? She needed a therapist? Why wasn’t I aware of this?”

“We made an agreement that this situation would be kept confidential from everyone. Especially from her parents.” Dr. Hamilton said a little nervously.