Chapter 33: The Betrayal

Azalea’s POV

There was nothing. I could feel nothing right now. The only thing I knew was that anger and betrayal fueled my actions at the moment. I stared at Nate and Maggie with pure disgust before storming away down the hall.

“Lea! Lea wait! Please let me explain,” I faintly heard Maggie call my name. I didn’t turn around. I just continued on into the loud main room. By now it was almost midnight and this party was so done.

I walked over to the stereo and slammed on the power button. I gathered my voice, my ferocity lashing through me as I yelled, “Party’s over! Everyone get out now!”

Groans sounded from throughout the room. No one was moving. Get the hell out! I was on my last straw. “You have until the count of three to get the eff out of my house and you DO NOT want me to get to three.”

This seemed to work. Everyone looked a little startled to hear that voice from me. Five minutes later, the house was cleared, leaving me, the boys, Cassidy, Maddi, Derek, Nate and my so-called best friend.

“Whoa what the hell is going on?” Derek said, bounding down the stairs. I crossed my arms and stared at him, having no tolerance whatsoever.

The rest of the gang gathered in the usually deserted living room. Everyone looked at me with a confused expression. Suddenly, Maggie came into view fixing the strap of her dress followed by a Nate who was fumbling to put his shirt back on. There it was again, the anger, the pure hate that I was feeling toward Maggie, toward Nate.

“Please if you’ll just let me explain, Lea. It’s all just a misundersta-” Maggie started, but I cut her off and put my hand up. She was not about to do this again. This interrupting thing she always does.

“No it’s not just a misunderstanding! You lied to me. You lied right to my face. How the hell am I supposed to believe anything you say?” I yelled at her. She flinched at my words, but I didn’t care. I’m so done with her.

Maggie’s voice sounded small and defeated as she said, “Because you’re my best friend. Lea, we didn’t mean to hurt you. That was definitely not what we wanted.”

I seethed at her, feeling my hand trembling. I looked away from her at the boys who were looking at us curiously. My hate for Maggie was at an all-time high right now. It’s not what we wanted. I felt her come close to me and put a consoling hand on my forearm.

That was enough to send me over the edge. I couldn’t stop it. My hand flew up and slapped her across the face, echoing a loud smack throughout the room. Everything started happening in a blink of an eye.

Maggie’s hand flew to her red cheek as she stumbled backwards. I lunged at her, gripping onto her shoulders and trying to smack her face. I was an animal and I couldn’t control it. I was no longer acting with sensibility, I was acting in pure anger. I tried to pull her down but a pair of strong arms wrapped around my torso and yanked me away.

I tried to break out of his arms and go after Maggie again but Nate pulled Maggie behind him and tried to tell me to calm down. That’s when I let out my breath which came out as a sob. I didn’t think I had any tears left but they fell anyway.

“You don’t want to do something you’ll regret, Lea. Maggie is your best friend. You guys can work this out in a civil manner,” Cole said, his arms still attached to my waist. Disgusted, I pushed him off of me.

“Don’t freaking touch me, Cole. You have no right to give me advice right now when you have no idea what you want,” I yelled at him.

I felt another hand on my shoulder and I whipped around to see the next victim of my wrath. Dana stood there giving me an empathetic look. I softened a little for the boy. He didn’t do anything to me so I held back my tongue.