Chapter 26: You Don't Have to be a Martyr

Chapter 26:

Magnolia’s P.O.V.

        It took my eyes a while to adjust to the bright lights that shined into my room. My head was pounding as I finally pulled myself into a sitting position. I rubbed my hands down the length of my face. My neck felt tight from sleeping weirdly. My room was filled with an unfamiliar heat. Gazing around the room, I wondered how I made it under the covers. The last thing I remember was sitting in Dalton's lap. Dalton… Where was he? I did a cat like stretch, feeling my spine crack. I let out a sigh of relief and almost jumped out of my own skin at the low moan. I stared wildly at the boy who had fallen asleep next to me. I couldn't help but blush when I noticed that his shirt was missing, his toned back gleaming in the sunlight. He looked so peaceful with his arm under his head. I let my eyes drift down from his face down to his covered body. I felt slightly weird that I was watching him sleep, but my inner fangirl wouldn't shut up. I was in bed with Dalton Rapattoni!

He let out another groan and he blinked awake. I smiled down at him and did a secret hair check. All good. He stretched his arms over his head and hit the headboard. I giggled when he grumbled and turned his gaze to me. His eyes widened in confusion and looked around my bedroom. I rested my head on my arm that was propped up on my leg and watched him struggle. Memories of last night seemed to rush back to him as he seemed to relax. He pushed himself in a sitting position like mine and gazed at me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, his voice was laced with sleep.

"I slept okay. How did you sleep?" I offered him a small smile. He stared down at me before answering. 

"I slept fine. But it was a little hot last night, so sorry for the…" He drifted off and gestured to his bare chest. I blushed and looked away. "But that wasn't what I meant. Are you okay?" His gaze was smoldering. 

"Everything seems okay," I shrugged. I didn't want to tell him about my headache. "Just a little kink in the neck." 

"Come here." He whispered. He sat back against the headrest and pat the space between his legs.

"Dalton, you naughty boy." I teased. He chuckled and shook his head. I crawled between the space of his legs and rested my body a few inches away from his. His fingers were hot against the skin on my neck as he slowly massaged my neck.

"Maggie, why did you call me last night?" He asked me after a short pause.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, there are so many other people. There's Lea, your parents, other friends, Will, and your little boyfriend. What was his name again? David?"

 "His name is Nate," I told him, rolling my eyes. "And no one else know about…"

"About your condition? These anxiety attacks?" He finished my sentence. I was silent but nodded. He let out an exasperated sigh. "This seems pretty serious. Why haven't you told anyone?" Irritation seeping into his tone. I thought about his question.

 "I don't want to burden anyone. I don't want people to… to leave me," I finally said. It felt good to finally tell someone. It felt like a load of bricks were lifted off my shoulder.

 "Is that what you're worried about?" His fingers pausing on my neck. I almost groaned in sadness. "You're worried about people leaving you?" He snapped.

 "I guess. It's kind of complicated."

 "Maggie, look at me," He demanded. I refused to turn around. "Magnolia," I was surprised, I've never heard him use my real name before. Did I ever tell him my real name? I glanced over my shoulder. "No one is going to leave you. You have so many good friends around you. Lea and you seem to have a strong enough friendship to support anything. You have Nico-"