Chapter 14: Shit Just Got Real!

Magnolia’s POV

I didn’t get any sleep last night. After Lea dropped me off I went straight into my room. Derek tried to talk to me but I shut the door in his face. He had knocked, but I wasn’t having it. I ditched my clothes in the bathroom and turned the shower on cold. I sat in the corner of the tub with my knees drawn to my chest. The cold water dulled the pain I felt. My body shivered at the thought of what had happened. I sat in the tub for what felt like hours.

I can’t believe it happened. I thought I was over this... My anxiety problems were heightened at the thought of being alone. I could barely go 20 minutes without knowing someone is going to be with me. No one knew about this and I planned on keeping it that way. This is what makes everything harder because I need someone around me. If Nate hadn’t answered his phone I would have probably been unconscious when Lea found me, if not worse.

Nate didn’t ask questions last night. He didn’t question my shaky voice, nor why I had called him. I was thankful for it, anyways. I wouldn’t be here without him. He tried to cheer me up by telling me jokes and puns, old stories about himself and Lea, he even read a book to me that he stole from Lea. None of it really worked, but it kept me stable. I owed him my life.

I was shivering when I finally shut off the water. I stepped out and wrapped a towel around me. I had slipped on my warmest pajamas and slid into my bed. My thoughts wandered to what had started this all. It was Dalton.

Dalton Rapattoni was the reason for my anxiety attack.

~

When the T.V. turned on down the hall, I finally pulled myself out of bed. It was around 7 o’clock and maybe mom just got home from her graveyard shift. I dragged my T.A.R.D.I.S. throw and wrapped it around my body. Maybe I can sweat off the anxiety. I padded down the hallway and into the living room. Derek was sprawled on the couch made for three people with Sandy on the ground next to him. I stood there staring at him until he looked over.

“Aren’t you hot?” He asked me, tilting his head away from T.V. to look at me. Tears welled up in my eyes and I ran to my brother. His eyes widened as I jumped and collapsed on top of him. He grunted and tried to push me off. “What is wrong with you?” He yelled. Tears streamed down my face. My brother. I needed him.

“I’m just so glad you’re here.” I cried and hugged him. He seemed to soften at the sight of my tears. He sat up and dragged me with him. I curled into his side as he drew me close.

“Tell me what’s wrong.” He whispered into my hair. I didn’t reply. I couldn’t tell him. I just needed to be close.

“Don’t leave me, okay?” I asked, removing my head from his side. He stared down at me before nodding.

“Never.” Then he hugged me again.

We stayed like that for an hour, not talking. We listened to the morning news in silence. I shut my eyes and drifted into a dreamland, catching up on the sleep I missed the night before. I woke up alone on the couch. I rubbed my eyes and followed the smell of toast. Derek had sandwich ingredients scattered around the kitchen counter. I watched him quietly. He didn't ask me if I wanted a sandwich. He stacked meats and cheeses on his contraption. He slid the sandwich to me and started on his.

"Are you going to tell me what's up or...?" I took a bite of the sandwich and shook my head.

"You know me, just thinking of the worse..."

"Was it a nightmare?" Derek asked, confused.

"Yes."

~