Chapter 20: Jealous of my Obese Unicorn Love

Magnolia’s POV

The past couple of days have been flawless. I’ve been out with Nate every night since our first kiss together and there have been many after. Many. Derek hasn’t gotten on my case yet. Neither had my mom, but when has she ever? I’ve neglected to call my father, I just can’t face him. He hasn’t called me since the day of the concert, so he mustn’t be missing me. Thinking about it, it’s been just short of two weeks since that concert. So much has happened since then, it’s felt like ages.

I’ve missed hanging out with the boys, but I wouldn’t be able to stand in the same room as Dalton. Guilt and fear runs my blood cold when I think about our kiss. It was heavy with passion that I didn’t understand. Neglected passion from being out the game too long? Or passion that has been fought off? I’ll never know. His silver eyes will haunt me.

I shake off the thought of him and switched over to Nate. I clutched Mr. Stuffies to my body and held him close. Nate was my dream guy. He was smart, kind, caring, and my golly is he hot! We’ve been through so much together, thick and thin, sickness and in health. What am I even thinking? Marriage? I’m going crazy! I mentally shook my head, ridding the thought from my head. I was 17 for Christ’s sake! I concentrated on his bright green  eyes, but they contorted into a shinier color, a silver color. No! Stop thinking about him!

I groaned and tossed Mr. Stuffies next to Mr. SugarPuff and wished them a happy gay life together. I rearranged their limbs so they would be in somewhat of a hug. I glared at them before stomping off into the kitchen. Why do my obese unicorn plushies have a better love life than me?  They aren’t confused! They only love each other and it will stay like that! I wish I wasn’t confused... I stopped in the middle of my pace. I was just jealous of my stuffed unicorns... I really need a PopTart. Shuffling through the pantry, I found the last Pop-Tart box on the highest shelf. I struggled to get it but achieved it with a huff of breath. “That is enough exercise for the month!” I happily decided.

I plucked out a brown sugar Pop-Tart when my phone rang. I vaguely checked the box for my phone when I remembered it is on the kitchen counter charging. I scoffed at myself and threw the box on a lower shelf. A grin automatically spread on my face when I saw the caller ID.

“Hello, this is Magnolia Garfield,” I answered, “you’ve just missed me but leave a message and maybe I’ll check back.” I continued, copying my voicemail recording, while moving to the microwave. I logged in a second time and held the phone for the beep. I quickly raced out of the kitchen before the rest of the beeps came on and pressed the phone to my ear.

“Hey, babe,” Nate’s deep voice made me shiver. “I was just calling to check up. Maybe you wanted to hang tonight? But if you don’t that’s fine! I mean we have been out every night. Not that I’m complaining or anything! I...” Nate trailed off with a nervous laugh. I let out a giggle. “Wags?”

“You know you’re adorable when you ramble Honey Bear.” I informed him.

“You got me! What about tonight? You wanna go out?”

“With you? Maybe.” I teased.

“C’mon, babe. We can go to that carnival on Shellside.” He suggested.

“I have work tonight.” I said after thinking about it.

“I can drop you off on the way to the gym. I need to get off my butt.” Just the thought of Nate sweating made me excited.

“I think you’re pretty hot already. If you wanna work out for me that’s fine, though.”

“I’ll pick you up at four?” He laughed.