Chapter 24: Carina

To distract myself, I've been consumed with working on the Spring collection. The fashion show is at the end of February and I want everything to be perfect because I'm making a junior line for the show to get some consumer feedback. It's a surprise for Matteo and a gift to Sophia. She is such a sweet girl and her and Matteo share a few similarities besides looks. She's shy and reserved, but she is feisty. It saddens me sometimes when Lucinda picks her up some days. Sophia is a bit older than Matteo was when he lost his father, but I worry that Sophia won't be able to handle it as well as he did. Both her parents are leaving and not coming back. She is so fragile and timid, and a part of me wants to make sure she's going to be safe and well taken care of after Lucinda and Frank die. I know that Matteo has been learning how to communicate with her, but what if she isn't comfortable with him yet? I see so much of myself in her that I can't help but feel protective. She's growing on me and I don't want to lose her. I have been asking him if he's ever going to leave his family business to someone if something happens, and he just brushes it off and changes the topic. I know it's a touchy subject for him so I don't push him, but it's honestly infuriating. Does he think we're untouchable? I'm brought out of my thoughts when my mother barges through the office door.

"Sure mom. Don't knock," I say, my voice laced with sarcasm.

"Oh hush Carina. I was coming to tell you that the peach dress for the junior line is gorgeous. It will compliment Sophia's skin tone," she says as she plops down in a chair.

"Thanks. I'm so happy everything is coming together. This pale blue dress will make her eyes pop don't you think," I say holding the gossamer fabric. My mother looks at me with adoration and love throwing me off.

"Carina I haven't seen you this happy in years. I'm happy that he's changing you," she says softly.

"It's kind of terrifying honestly," I confess uncomfortably. My mother walks to me and softly grips my shoulder.

"Falling is always scary Cara. I have no doubt that when you fall he'll be right there doing it with you. That blue is perfect for the line," she smiles and kisses my forehead. She leaves me at my design desk awestruck. My mother knows I'm falling, but she thinks Matteo is too? Am I that clueless? I'm brought out of my confused thoughts by my cell phone buzzing on my office desk.

"Hello," I answer without looking at the caller ID.

"Can you meet me at St. Catherine's? Something has come up with Sophia," Matteo says softly. My body tenses and I immediately run to my coat hook in panic. Dangerous scenarios run through my mind as I put on my coat.

"I'll be there in 15," I answer as I grab my purse and hang up to text Venni.

Warm up the car. Meeting up with Matteo at Sophia's school.

"Dawn forward all my calls to my mother. I have an emergency with Soph," I say with urgency, and begin to silently pray for the safety of the young girl that has quickly moved into my heart.

***
"We are here, but I don't see anywhere to park Carina," Venni says grabbing my attention.

"That's fine. I'll walk," I say and get out the SUV. I can see Matteo and Sophia talking as I walk the short distance from where Venni stopped the car, and relax knowing she's out of harms way. When I get closer I catch the last of their conversation.

"After all we are Italian. We're fearless," I hear Matteo says. Sophia smiles and nods her head before throwing her arms around his neck in an embrace. Seeing them like this tugs at my heart. Their relationship reminds me so much of how Angelo and I were. Matteo doesn't realize how good of a brother he is to Sophia, but I see it every time they interact with each other. He chuckles and hugs her tiny frame back. He is such a giant compared to Sophia, but then again she's barely five feet.