Chapter 15: Matteo

All throughout the day I thought of Carina. She lights a fire in my heart that I thought I would never feel again. I can't get how big her smile was when I told her she could cook dinner tonight out of my head. I want to be able to keep her smiling like that. I want her to be mine, and only mine. I'm suddenly interrupted out of my thoughts by a knock on the door.

"Come in," I say and Venni enters through the door with a young boy who looks about 17 or 18.

"Boss this is Lucas Vechenzo. He's the son of the late Donnie Vechenzo," he says firmly. I look at the boy with no emotion. He's the spitting image of his father, but he needs to fear me.

"Take him downstairs Venni. I'll be there in a minute," I say coldly. Venni nods and goes towards the bookshelf. I made sure nobody outside of The Family knew where I handled family business. He pulls down a book and the bookshelf slid to the left, revealing a secret hallway. Venni grabs the boy and leads him downstairs. My intentions right now are to terrify him, not kill him especially with Carina in the house. I would never want to put her through that shit. I look at my watch and the time reads 4:13. I call down to the kitchen to see if Carina started cooking dinner yet.

"Chef Bonchi speaking," the chef answers. Toni is a very happy man, so naturally his happiness is very contagious.

"Toni has she started cooking yet?"

"Oh yes sir Mr. Carson. Would you like to speak with her?"

"Yes," I reply. There's a brief pause and then her angelic voice comes through the receiver making my heart rate speed up.

"You haven't changed your mind now have you," she says lightheartedly and I can tell she's smiling.

"No. I just want to know when dinner will be ready. I have a meeting soon."

"Well I will be done by 7:00."

"Okay got it. Carina wear something nice for dinner tonight. We have some things to discuss tesoro," I inform her. I've been thinking about how I'd confess my feelings to pursue her would go. I'm not one to beat around the bush so it needs to be done sooner rather that later.

"Uh.. O-okay Matteo," she answers nervously and hangs up. I have a lot in store for Carina tonight so I want this evening to be romantic. I gather my thoughts and tuck them away as I make my way to my family office. It's time to deal with Lucas. I'm one of the five bosses in The Family, and the youngest. I need to keep him under control. Venni is standing on the far wall and Lucas is sitting in a chair across from my desk as I come through the passageway. He is looking around very nervously, but trying to put on a tough exterior. I smirk as I sit down.

"So Lucas I'm not gonna bullshit you. I heard you've been giving some people trouble," I say coldly. I don't show emotion when I have to take care of family business. If you show emotion you are considered weak and that shit will get you either hurt or killed.

"Mr.Carson I've heard about you. You allegedly killed my father and two uncles," he says nonchalantly. Who the hell does this kid think he is?! He's lucky I spared his life, along with his mother and sister. Ungrateful little bastard.

"Yes allegedly, but that could have been anybody in the business. You know that more than I do Luke. Now whatever you're doing to stir the pot, stop it. I'm sure your father wouldn't want you acting out and trying to get yourself killed. We know all too well what happens when you do that," I say harshly. I make sure I threaten openly. I don't bluff. If someone calls me one more time about Lucas he's gonna have to be dealt with, and not in a good way. I can't have him giving the media something say about the mob again. We've all been peaceful and everything has been running smoothly.

"Matteo I have a kid sister and my mother to look after. My business isn't with you so stay out of it."

"Lucas they called about you. I'm trying to protect you and your family. They won't hesitate to kill you, your mother, and your sister," I say blankly and I'm being honest too. I have my own business to look after, but the bosses called and told me to have a talk with him or they'll take care of it. A flash of worry washes over Lucas' face, but it's quickly replaced by cold anger.

"What am I supposed to do? I only do things for money Matteo," Lucas says through gritted teeth. I feel bad for the kid. His mother works as a full time nurse and still doesn't have enough money to provide for her kids, because she's still paying off her husbands debt. I look over at Venni and nod. He's going to bring me a suitcase of $50,000. I know it's more than enough for him to provide. Venni comes back and puts the suitcase on my desk.

"Lucas I know things have been hard on you. I was young when my father died too. He didn't leave a debt behind or anything, but I know how you feel. I'm giving you this money only if you promise to use it responsibly, and stop causing trouble. We got a deal," I ask. Lucas is lost just like I was when my father died. Relief washes over his face when I give him the suitcase.

"We have a deal Matteo," he says as he opens the suitcase. I want some good to come out of what I did to his father. It's the least I can do.

"You don't have to pay me back, but if you don't hold up your end of the bargain there will be consequences Lucas," I says coldly. I'm not about to just give him money just so he can fuck up again. He looks at me and nods understandingly. I don't want to have to kill the kid, I won't have a choice. It's my job as the enforcer in The Family. Venni escorts Lucas out of the house, and I head back upstairs. It's now 5:45 and I want to clean up for dinner with Carina. My heart is racing as I think of everything I'm going to say to her. I don't want her to turn down my proposition, but I also don't want her to feel forced into it. Tonight I'm doing something I've never done before.