Chapter 7: Matteo

I jolt out of my sleep because of a loud banging noise. When I realize it's coming from Carina's room I quickly grab my gun and her room key out of my nightstand drawer. I run to her room and unlock the door, bursting it open in the process. I scan my surroundings and don't notice anything out of the ordinary. My eyes land on Carina who's light brown eyes are wide with shock.

"What's wrong Carina? Are you okay," I ask frantically doing another scan of her room.

"Uh. Y-yes," she stutters. I study the woman before me and she looks horrible. She has on the same clothes she wore yesterday, her hair is everywhere, and she looks like she's been crying all night. Regret washes over me like a cold bucket of water, and I almost hate myself for doing that to her. Keyword being almost.

"Then why did you bang on the door," I ask her softly as I drop my arms and put the gun in my left hand. Last night I tossed and turned because she was invading every dream my brain mustered. She must have been pretty spaced out because she shakes her head, and her eyes come to life with anger. Okay lets see how this goes.

"How do you know what size I wear in everything," she asks calmly. I can tell she's holding back the fact she's angry because her shoulders are tense and her fists are balled up so tight that her knuckles are white.

"Hmm. I have been watching you for the past month. I wanted to be sure that your stay here was comfortable, so I provided you with a few things from your home and I had some shopping done," I answer. I didn't want to have to buy things every time she needed them so I did everything in advance. As I look at her I notice the already purple bruise on her wrist. I can't believe I let my anger get the best of me. Shee quickly turns away from my scrutinizing gaze.

"Well thanks for being so accommodating," she whispers. I grab her shoulders and electricity sparks through my fingers as I turn her to face me. I've never felt anything like that before when I touch a woman. I push that to the back of my mind as Carina keeps her eyes on the carpet.

"Carina look at me now," I say forcefully. She looks at me through those long thick eyelashes and I felt another ripple of electricity shoot through my body again.

"Last night I disrespected you in a way that I've never disrespected a woman. I apologize," I say softly. She stares at me for what feels like forever. I don't blame her if she never forgives me for what I did, but I had to apologize because it's something I never meant to do to her. I don't want to be the kind of man my father was. Carina just nods her head in understanding. No words? No attitude? I run my hand through my hair and exhale. Jesus what is it with women? Do they like torturing men? "Well I'll be in my office. Just use the call button next time when you want something okay? Blue button is for my bedroom, red button is for my office, and green button is for Venni's radio," I say pointing to the call system next to the light switch. She just nods again as I walk out the room locking it behind me.

When I enter my room I shower and get ready for the day. I have a meeting today with some men about closing the deal on a hotel and casino out in Vegas. It isn't one of my biggest projects, but it's definitely the most interesting. We won't break ground until next spring, and I'm sure Carina will be well behaved by then. It's only December so she won't be released before the three month mark. Unlike her father, I commit to my timelines.

As I put my tie on the bedroom phone rings. I know it's the fiery beauty herself, so I let it ring. I'm sure whatever she wants can wait. I push the green button on the call dial and Venni answers immediately.

"Yeah boss?"

"Venni if Miss Lehew calls don't answer. We aren't a butler service understood?"

"Yes sir."

"Thanks," I say before hanging up. Carina Lehew will have to learn that because you are given a luxury treatment doesn't mean you abuse it, even with this type of situation. I slip my suit jacket on and head to my office.

As soon as I unlock my office door my phone is ringing. I look at the caller ID and it's Carina. Jesus! Really? What is wrong with this woman? I pick up the phone annoyed.

"Miss Lehew I hope you are dying because if not then you might as well get your little finger off that red button," I demand.

"No I'm not dying, but I do have a question," she says curiously. What is with this woman? Does she like being a pain in the ass?

"Ask away Miss Lehew," I say annoyed.

"Why did you bring my vibrator from my condo," she chirps. I can hear the enthusiasm in her voice and roll my eyes at her childish behavior.

"I'm sure you have needs Miss Lehew," I say rolling my eyes. I know nothing sexual is going to happen between her and I, but I also know women. If they don't flick the bean every once in a while the world will end. I hear her laughing through the phone and it makes the hairs on my neck stand. What the hell is she doing to me?

I chuckle, "Goodbye Miss Lehew," and hang up the phone. That woman is driving me up the wall. A brief memory of my parents arguing and making up flashes through my mind, and the smile I didn't realize I had vanishes. If I'm going to keep Carina here I'm going to have to set a few ground rules to keep both her and I away from each other. I push the green dial on my phone.

"Yeah boss?"

"Venni come to my office. I want to have a talk with you about a few rules I want to give Miss Lehew."

"On my way boss," he says and I hang up the phone. One thing I can't give Carina is my heart. I think I stopped having one a long time ago. Plus, if she's anything like my mother my "heart" wouldn't be safe. Venni emerges through my office door and takes a seat in one of the chairs across from my desk.

"So what's up," he asks raising his eyebrows.

"Venni as you know I lost control last night with Miss Lehew," I say as I sign some documents.

"I know boss."

"I apologized to her this morning, but to make sure nothing like that happens again I want you to relay a few rules to her. She is to not use the call buttons for me unless it is a life or death situation. She will not die on my watch. When her punishment is up she is to eat meals with us, but to never talk or make eye contact with me unless told to do so. Lastly, she is to never leave this property during her stay. If she even attempts to she will be punished by me and locked in her room for two days. Did you get all that?"

"Got it boss," Venni says as he writes down the last of the rules.

"Good. Now please inform her of these before she calls me again. I have work to do."

"Yes sir," he says closing the door. A small part of me wonders if Carina will be hurt by the rules, but then I think about her temper. She won't be hurt, but she'll be furious. I shake my head to rid myself of the intrusive thoughts and begin making phone calls. I'm going to distract myself from Carina her entire stay to protect the both of us.