Chapter 35: Carina

"Well Carina the babies are completely healthy," Dr. Brody says as we both look at the screen. "Would you like to know the sex," she asks and I squeeze Jolie's hand. She refused to let me go to my appointment by myself.

"That would be great," I say. She moves the wand around my stomach and lands on one baby.

"Well looks like baby A is a boy," she says and begins moving the wand around the other baby. "Ah! Baby B is a girl! Congratulations Ms. Lehew," she says as she prints the sonogram pictures. A boy and a girl! Tears begin to mist my eyes and I look at Jolie. She's grinning from ear to ear.

"Looks like you have to buy blue after all Jolie," I say teasing her. She was hoping I was going to have two girls just so she can buy them a bunch of pink and blush baby clothes.

"Like that will ever happen. My godson is going to be wearing black or cream when he's with me," she chirps and I laugh at her attitude towards a specific color. Dr. Brody hands me copies of the sonograms and helps me sit up.

"Now Carina I need to let you know that you should be very careful these next few weeks. We've done a lot of testing on the uterus today, and twins are known for coming early. Your babies are already pushing six pounds and a few ounces so it won't be necessary to have them in the NICU by the time you have them. Keep up the good work," she says and walks out of the room. I put my underwear and my tights back on and Jolie helps with my Crocs.

When we walk outside we are hounded by paparazzi, but Venni manages to get us to the car. Jolie is sitting in the front, but a familiar intoxicating cologne fills my nose. I look to my right and the Devil himself is sitting there.

"What the hell," I squeak angrily as I look at Matteo. He has some nerve if he think he can just pop back into my life and I'll be okay with it. I look at a Jolie who's glaring at an uncomfortable Venni. I relax a little knowing she isn't apart of this ambush.

"You left me no choice Carina. I've tried to stay away as long as I could, but I needed to see you for myself," he says softly. I look out my window avoiding eye contact and try to remain calm. "Carina please just talk to me," he begs making my anger snap and I lose it.

"Talk to you? For what? I tried to get you to talk to me, but what did you do? You told me to leave! How can you be so cruel to someone you say you love Matteo," I yell at him. At this point my hands are shaking and my ears are burning with anger.

"I know that and I'm sorry! I didn't know how to cope with everything let alone talk about it. It was hard for me to deal wi –Carina I'm sorry for how I treated you, but I am the father of your child. We need to have some type of communication. I don't even know what we're having," he rambles. My anger begins to settle once I know why he's here. He wants to be here for the twins, and I won't deny him that.

"We're having a boy and a girl," I mumble looking at my hands. The car is silent and I notice Jolie and Venni aren't in the car anymore.

"Twins," Matteo croaks. I look at the man that still holds my heart. It's hard to stay away from him, but I can't be hurt again. I need him to just be there for our kids.

"Yeah. Dr. Brody told me she told you they were both healthy. I figured you knew," I say softly. Matteo just looks at me stunned and shakes his head. I feel a kick and begin to rub my belly. Matteo yanks me to his side and moves my hand. "Seriously," I say annoyed. I see his overprotective instincts haven't worn off.