Chapter 27: Matteo

Everything I thought about the world has completely changed and it's all because of Carina. That woman has turned my world in a complete 360 and I don't feel uneasy about it in the slightest. To be quite honest I'm comfortable with it, with her. I know that abducting her might have not been the right thing to do, and the terrible things I did to her I regret everyday, but I would snatch her all over again just to have her in my arms and presence. She's my world now.

We packed up her apartment the day after Christmas because I was ready for her to move in immediately. I didn't want to wait, plus she'd been practically living with me these past few weeks anyways. It only seemed right to ask her.  Brandon, Carina, and I are all going to have brunch at the house on Sunday because Brandon wants to talk to Carina about some things he knew about her sister. I know that this is going to be hard for Carina so I made sure that I would be available. I told Cindy to forward all my calls that day so that we aren't interrupted. Those fuckers Carter and Jason are both in jail and awaiting their trails too. Kenneth expressed his gratitude about me going to the police with everything, and I can tell that this has been weighing down on their entire family. They all needed closure. It's one reason why I decided to call in Lucas. I'm going to make him my apprentice and give him my seat at the table that comes along with The Family. The only downside is that I can only be a silent advisor when the time comes. It's the only thing that I can think of that won't start a war or another Mafia's Hell. I explained my role I would soon take, once I felt Lucas was ready, to Carina. She wasn't very excited about it, but she said that she was happy with the outcome and understood.

We all celebrated New Year's at Carina's parents' house in the Hamptons. It was quite nice and everyone was happy that Frankie and my mother were able to attend. It made it better for Sophia too, but I don't know how much more of this she can take. Their condition is becoming noticeable now, and the doctors confirmed that it's only a matter of time before they're going to be put on hospice. It kills me seeing Sophia so distraught,because I know all too well how it feels to watch your parent deteriorate. To watch not one, but two of your parents wither away until death claims them is something a 13 year old shouldn't have to go through. All of this is very hard for me to handle because it brings back all of the memories and emotions I had when my father was dying. I began to have nightmares again last week and I knew they scared Carina. I woke up from one and couldn't go back to sleep. I just cried hoping that all the pain I was feeling would go away. My sweet angel just held me until I fell back asleep. I know that my feelings towards my mother have not been the best, but I feel like now that we are on good terms and I have her back in my life I want her to stay with me longer. I know it isn't possible, and selfish, but I pray to God for a miracle everyday. Life is such a fragile thing. It can be given and taken so easily. It's why I have been worried sick all day today. Carina is at a doctors appointment for today because she hasn't been feeling well. My brain has been going into a frenzy thinking about all the possible ways her life could be taken away from this Earth, away from me. My anxious thoughts are interrupted when the ringing of my intercom fills my office.

"Yes Cindy," I answer impatiently.

"Sir I have Miss Lehew on the main line. Should I put her through," Cindy chirps.

"Of course," I boom sitting up in my chair nervously. I pray to the Heavens that everything with Carina is more than alright. I hear the beep and words fly out of my mouth immediately. "Carina darling are you alright," I ask frantically. I'm practically pulling out my hair with frustration and anxiety.

"I'm fine, but we need to talk tonight. I have something I want to share with you. I know Sophia is going to stay at your mothers so I was thinking I'll whip up something romantic while you're working," she says calmly, but I hear a slight tremor in her voice. I don't want to make her anymore nervous than she already is so I hold my composure.