Chapter 31: Matteo

Two weeks have went by without me hearing from Carina. I was sure she'd at least call me to tell me the status her and the baby were in a few days after she left, but I haven't gotten a peep. She isn't even on the news or in the social sections of the media. It's like a kick in the gut and the only person I can blame is myself. She's gone because I shut her out and pushed her away. I down the scotch and pour more. I can't sleep in my own bedroom unless I pass out from drinking. It brings up too many memories that I had with Carina during her short stay here. I gulp down another glass. I've been trying to get her back, but all I get is silence. I need her and I hate that. I down another glass. Why won't she talk to me? She needs to let me explain. I still love her and I want our family. I gulp down another glass and grab my iPhone to dial Carina's work number and listen to it ring.

"Cara Bella. This is Carina speaking," she answers. Her voice makes the hairs on my neck stand. The past two weeks have been excruciating without her. Venni and I finished the gruesome training process with Lucas and now we are training him on the business aspect, well trying to at least. Venni told me I can't come down to the basement inebriated. I have to be fully sober and coherent. The only time I drink is when I think of her. My sweet Carina.

"Come back," I say without hesitation. I need her to let me explain everything now. There's nothing but the sound of her breathing calmly.

"Go to sleep," she demands softly and the call ends. I gripped the phone tighter and throw it on the thick carpet in my bedroom. I grab the scotch bottle and take a swig as tears pour out down my face. I've lost her for good and it isn't life that's being cruel to me. I destroyed everything on my own. I really am the Devil.

***
"Cindy I'm coming in the office tomorrow. I want to have a board meeting at 8 a.m. sharp. I want it to run into the department meeting I have at 9, and then I will have a staff meeting at 9:30," I say as I shave my beard. When I woke up this afternoon with a raging headache and memories of last night flashing through my mind, I decided it was time I stop feeling sorry for myself and work with the cards life has dealt me. I'm going to start that by going back to work Monday morning. I've been working from home and having Cindy handle everything at the office since Frank and my mother passed.

"Yessir. Anything else," she asks.

"Yes I want you to hire a temp for your position for the rest of the week. I want you to take a much needed vacation," I inform her. The way I've been acting and treating people is unacceptable whether I'm grieving or not. I know everything won't be fixed in a day, but it's time that I started.

"Thank you sir," she says and hangs up. I rinse my face and rub after shave balm along the smooth skin that was hidden underneath my beard. I look more alert and like myself. I'll have to get a haircut though. I leave out of my room and walk to Carina's old office. Sophia quickly turned it into her art sanctuary and always keeps the door locked when she's inside. I softly knock on the door and wait for her to open it. Sophia unlocks the door and steps out. Her raven colored hair is in a bun and she's wearing paint stained overalls with a muscle shirt underneath. Her dark blue eyes look at me curiously. I'm trying to find the right words to say to her, but my mind is blank. I do the only thing I feel is right to do. I hug her. Sophia stiffens, but eventually relaxes and hugs me back.

"I'm so sorry," I croak and Sophia pats my back before wiggling out of my embrace.

"We're human. I'm not going to hold that against you, but you need to fix it all," she says. I look at my sister and wonder how a 13 year old could be so mature.