Chapter 20: Carina

"Venni are you married," I ask as he drives the bulky Suburban to the Dillard building. I'm curious to know why he doesn't go home at night. I know he says Matteo is his only family, but that was before we became friends. Venni is actually putting one of the guests room I have to good use. He rested in there yesterday after we moved everything in. I didn't know if he was going to be staying here permanently, but if he does I don't mind. It gets lonely.

"Not anymore," he answers and I notice pain flash in his eyes before they are quickly masked with a stoic expression again. I don't want to pry into his past if it's going to make him relive things he's wanting to forget, so I decide to leave that conversation for another day. I know all too well how damaging reliving the past can be. We pull up to the my parents' building and there are paparazzi waiting outside the entrance. Yesterday when Venni and I were unloading, they ambushed us and it was very overwhelming. They have never been that aggressive and it honestly scared the shit out of me, so Venni made me stay inside as he unloaded the rest of the SUV.

"Just great," I mumble irritatedly. It's obvious I don't like how forceful the paparazzi is now that I'm back – hell I'm even starting to miss waking up to the silence when I lived at Matteo's. The city noise used to be comforting, but now it's just annoying. I let out an exasperated sigh as Venni opens the car door. Flashes from cameras blind me, but thank God Venni is here to block off the crowd. The questions they are yelling at me are somewhat the same as last night, but some are just borderline disturbing.

"Carina where have you been this past week?"

"Why is Matteo Carson's bodyguard with you now?"

"Are you and Matteo's bodyguard dating? Did he move in?"

I don't even get upset at the questions they're asking, because they are just looking for their story. I grab Venni's arm to pull him to a stop. It's time to face the music. I rather do it now than later.

"Okay guys stop with the crazy accusations. I went on an unplanned vacation with Mr. Carson. He has been kind enough to lend me his bodyguard for obvious reasons. If that answers all of your questions I'd like to see my parents," I say nicely. I turn and retreat into the Dillard building as more questions are thrown at me. If you tell them one thing they'll ask about another. Nothing is ever good enough for them. Venni looks around the lobby area as we walk to the private elevator. I was all over the news yesterday when the media got word that I was back. My father called me and gave me an earful about how I scared him and my mother, and demanded that I be at breakfast. We step onto the elevator and I press the penthouse button.

"Are you okay," Venni asks.

"It's just too much to handle. They're always there and nothing is ever good enough to satisfy them. I am starting to miss the peacefulness of social exclusion," I sigh but what I really meant to say is I miss Matteo. I stayed up all night last night thinking about him. I know what we have isn't a lust thing, and I'm going to make him see that tonight at the gala. Even though Matteo and I started off on the wrong foot, that doesn't mean that we can't find a way to walk down the right path. The elevator comes to a stop bringing me out my thoughts. Venni walks in before me as usual to make sure everything is safe. He told me to never walk before him unless he tells me to because he can't fully protect me if he's behind me.

"Daddy I'm here," I chime as I walk to the dining area. The smell of meat and spices fill the air making my mouth water. I hear footsteps come from my dad's office and turn to see my father walking very fast towards me. He has dark shadows under his eyes and a five o'clock shadow growing in. I've never seen him so bent out of shape. He scoops me into his arms with a crushing hug knocking the wind out of me.

"Carina don't you ever scare me like that again. I don't know what your mother and I would have done if we found you lying in a ditch somewhere," he chokes out. I wrap my arms around my father and pat his back. Matteo's mission is accomplished because my father has definitely been suffering. It's written all over him.