Chapter 23: Matteo

Carina and I walk out of the kitchen and everyone's eyes are on us. I'm sure they heard our entire conversation by the relief on my mother's sickly pale face.

"I need the name of the doctors that have been running tests on you, and I will have my own doctors test you," I say sitting back at the table. Carina squeezes my hand and gives me a reassuring nod. "If everything is as you say it is, I will be Sophia's guardian," I say giving Sophia a soft smile. She looks so meek and innocent. I never thought I would have a sibling and the fact that I do thaws my heart a little. I naturally want to be her protector. Lucinda starts crying and reaches out for Frankie's hand.

"Thank you so much Matt," he says honestly. I have known Frank for a long time and he's showed gratitude whenever it's called for.

"I'll set up the appointment for tomorrow. In the meantime, Carina and I will learn some sign language in order to communicate with Sophia," I say and my mother nods her head in agreement as her sobs grow quiet.

"You mean you will learn sign language. I already know ASL, but it's a little rusty," Carina chirps proudly. I look at this beautiful little minx in shock. She surprises me once again. Sophia begins to excitedly sign with Carina and her dark blue eyes are alive with curiosity. Whatever she asked Carina makes everyone at the table laugh, except for Venni and myself.

"What's so funny," I ask Carina as her angelic laughter quietens.

"Sophia just asked if you're always this scary dear," my mother answers earning a light chuckle from Carina. "Sophia honey he has always been very serious, even when he was a young boy, but no not always scary," she quips lightly. I look at my mother astonished at her answer. Before she ran away my mother was never cruel to me. She just never showed me how much cared. I was like a child she babysat. She showed me enough love to make me think she cared, but not enough to let me know she loved me. I look at Carina as she eats and suddenly wonder what kind of mother she will be like to my children. I picture her belly swollen my child just waiting to pop out and meet the world. Carina is everything to me at that moment, and I know I will never want anyone or anything else more than I want a lifetime with her.

***

It's been a week since the dinner with Lucinda and the appointment with the doctor's turned out to be just what my mother and Frankie said. They are really dying and don't have much time left. Carina's beginning to work on the Spring collection, and the interior designer is planning Sophia's room for when she comes to live with me permanently next week. Sophia is a bit older than I was when I lost my father and Lucinda ran away. I think she will be able to come to terms with it better than I did, but I want to make sure she is going to be okay and well taken care of after her parents die. I know it's going to be hard on her because she's mute, and she already has enough on her plate. I hired a sign language tutor for myself and bought tons of books on ASL to make sure she knows I'm here if she wants to talk, and that I will be able understand her. There's a soft knock on my door bringing me away from reading a book I'm studying.

"Come in," I say marking my page and closing the book. Sophia walks in with her school uniform and coat still on. She looks very nervous. I wonder what she's doing here and not at school.

"Hey Soph. What brings you here," I ask curiously. I glance at my clock and notice that it's barely twelve in the afternoon. She's supposed to be in school. She takes her backpack off and pulls out a pink slip, looking at it nervously before placing it on my desk. I grab the slip and read that she's been suspended for fighting someone. I look at her for an explanation, but she's looking at her feet. I chuckle to myself. We might not have the same fathers, but she is a bad ass just like me. Sophia looks up at me with confusion written on her young face. That's when I notice a pinkish purple bruise under her eye. "Sophia why did you fight," I ask trying not to get angry. I'm not mad at her yet, but if she was attacked Saint Catherine's is going to get a word from me. Sophia huffs and sits in the chair in front of my desk.