Chapter 2

I pull out my sketch pad and begin adding some color to the dresses I'd drawn up during the week. The Spring collection is going to be absolutely magnificent. I have three centerpieces and two coordinating dresses that follow each one. There's a floral centerpiece that I absolutely adore. The bodice is a dark blue floral print with silver beading, and just when the print reaches the naval of the dress it cascades into a solid pale blue. It's honestly very breathtaking. I smile with excitement looking at the piece knowing it's going to be a big hit on the runway. My office phone begins to ring pulling me out of my trance.

"Cara Bella," I answer. I'm not expecting any phone calls until later, so I'm sure it's probably one of my clients.

"Oh Carina! Darling it's Heather. I won't be able to make it to my fitting tomorrow, but I can come now if you'd like," a frantic voice chirps. This happy go lucky woman drives me crazy every winter, but I never complain. She's one of my most loyal clients and practically family.

"Well I have to make a few calls, but yes Heather you can come in around 2:30," I tell her. I need to call the fabric offices in Italy and have them ship some samples to me amongst other things, so it's not a problem if she comes in.

"Oh that's perfect! I will see you then honey. Ta ta," she chirps before disconnecting. Heather Cassedine is one of my mothers dearest friends. Her husband is an architect, but Heather comes from a family full of political figures. She holds three galas for charity every winter during the holidays. Thankfully she is being fitted for her third, and final, dress today. She is a petite woman in her sixties, but doesn't look an age over 50 and without a hint of plastic surgery. She is my mother's best friend and my number one fan, parents excluded. I spend all morning and afternoon finishing up the sketches and making calls, and just when I hang up my last phone call there's a knock on my office door.

"Come in," I call out. My assistant waddles through the door with coffee in her hand. She's seven months pregnant and still as hard working as the day I hired her.

"Mrs. Cassedine called and said she will be here shortly and your mother just came in from her meetings asking for the new sketches," she says handing me the cup of hot liquid.

"Perfect. I just finished them up. You can go home and get some rest," I say firmly. Dawn has never asked for a day off, not even when she was sick. I literally have to force her out of the office sometimes.

"Seriously? I'm pregnant not handicapped," she says smiling.

"All the more reason you need to rest Dawn. You won't be able to get any when the baby comes," I say with a smirk. I knew I won the argument by just saying that.

"Fine, but I want a raise," she laughs as she leaves my office. Dawn and I have grown to become really good friends once my mother asked me to be partner. She's married and pregnant with her first child. I'm really happy for her seeing as how much she's been through - hell she didn't even have an interview with me when I hired her. She literally refused to leave the building until she was hired. I enter my mother's office with my sketches and see Heather waiting patiently in a chair across from my mothers desk, and it doesn't surprise me that they are gossiping. What else do mother's do?

"Here are the sketches for the spring collection," I say proudly putting them on her mantle and sitting down on the couch. I can feel my mother's eyes burning a hole into my skull.

"Thank you Carina. Heather was just telling me how Nicolas needs a date to the gala."

"Sorry, but no. I'll be swamped with the collection. Heather do tell him I'm sorry," I say flatly. I hate when they gang up on me about dating. I want to sink that ship quickly. I feel like love is something unexpected, not something your mother and her best friend pressure you into.

"It's fine honey. I know how you are when it comes to the line. I'll be sure to relay the message to him," Heather says kindly. I honestly felt bad for lying, but Nicolas Cassedine isn't my idea of a good time. He's an arrogant asshole, always has been even when we were kids.

"Thank you. Now how about we get you fitted in that dress," I reply. I know it won't take long to fit her. She's small for a woman who's had five kids. I wish my body had that kind of bounce back after having children, but I need a man to have kids with for that to even be a possibility. I shake my head clearing my thoughts and pull out the dress. Heather is going to be wearing something I designed especially for her. It's an exclusive. The dress is midnight blue, almost black, and strapless. It's corseted at the top and starts to flow at the waist. The satin fabric is soft and very lightweight so she'll be comfortable. None of that matters though. Heather can make any dress look amazing. She's absolutely graceful.

As I place the last pin in the dress, I turn Heather towards the mirror and notice her dark blue eyes begin to water with tears. It's the typical reaction coming from her. She's always astonished when she sees the finished product.

"Oh Carina. It's simply elegant! Thank you so much," she beams and I smile at her. This is why I love doing my job. Seeing the joy in Heather's eyes was it for me.

"You're very welcome Heather. I'll have the dress finished by tonight. I'll get it delivered then," I say as I carefully unzip her dress. I want to get this out of the way so I can have my focus on nothing but the spring collection come Monday morning. Heather dresses herself and I go to my office to begin making the adjustments. I'm so engrossed in doing the finishing touches that I don't even notice my mother and Heather leave for dinner. That's how it usually is when I'm in the zone. By the time I finish the dress and have it sent out for delivery, it's nine o'clock. Exhaustion hits my body as soon as I gather my things to leave. Today's been a long day and I just want to go home and pass out. I lock up the studio and exit the building. The office is only four blocks away from the Wilshire so I sent Winston home for the night. I love walking home. It's cold, but the New York noise is music to my ears. It makes me warm inside even when the air is cold and crisp.

Yes I am aware that it is dangerous for a girl like me to walk alone this late at night, but who is really going to kidnap a fat girl? That's takes a lot of effort and strength. My mother has insisted time and time again that I stop over working myself, but I can't help it. I take my keys out and unlock the heavy metal back door to the back of my building. Once I step inside, I notice that the hallway is pitch black.

"Well that's strange," I say out loud, talking to no one. I know the building manager always has the hallway lights on for safety purposes and the dark really isn't my thing. I'm afraid to walk in, but then remember where the light switch is. I quickly walk the three steps it takes and flash my phone on the light switch.

*Click*

The lights turn on illuminating the hallway, an elevator and a flight of stairs. Suddenly the building door behind me slams shut making me jump out of my skin. I quickly turn to see who came in because I know I shut it, but someone roughly blindfolds my eyes. I attempt to scream, but a strong smelling wet cloth is placed over my mouth and nose. The more I inhale the heavier my eyelids get and I can feel my arms and legs weaken the more I struggle. As I breathe in to let out one final scream, I slowly begin to fall into a dreamless sleep.