Chapter 2 Part 1

6 years later

Valerie laid motionless on the bed that she shared with her mother, who was finally resting after last night’s coughing spasms. She slowly got out of the covers and quietly stepped out off the bed. She stopped abruptly and held her breath as her mother’s breathing stopped for a second and then resumed its even rhythm.

She crouched down next to the bed and felt for her deer skin boots. The faint smell of musk hit her nose and she reached to her left feeling the soft footwear. She put them on quickly and maneuvered her way around the small cottage, carefully avoiding the furniture and kitchen wares. Valerie separated each smell from one another, making it easier for her to avoid the obstacles. She found the scent of old wood to her right and reached out to find the door and then the knob.

She turned the handle slowly, stopping every time it creaked, fearing that it would wake her mother up. Finally, she opened the door just enough to push her small frame through, then closed the door behind her, Valerie let out a sigh of relief.

No bird calls could be heard, the smell of morning dew wasn‘t there, and no warmth greeted her face, indicating that it wasn’t morning yet. Meaning that the other pack members wouldn’t be awake yet either, implying that she was able to go to the woods without Vanessa and her posse following her.

Valerie grimaced at the memory of what occurred 2 years ago. She was done with her daily chores and was going into the woods to do some exploring since the other children never played with her. She didn’t realize that anyone was behind her until it was too late.

Flashback

She was walking through the woods, touching the trunks of the old trees and taking in the calm aroma of the environment. She heard small scraping sounds but thought it was some chipmunks fighting over an acorn.

Valerie sniffed the air and stopped.

Lavender.

Mama would love some, Valerie thought. Knowing how much her mother adored the smell.

She followed the scent and then went down on all four to feel around the ground. Then when her hands found the plant, she pulled it out and pressed the flowers to her nose.

“Well lookie what we have here.”

Valerie tensed at the voice. Vanessa Vilston.

She felt herself shaking before she knew it, if Vanessa was here then so was Stephanie and Natalie. Sure enough, Valerie caught their scents. Bubblegum and cotton candy and Vanessa’s overpowering apple cinnamon lotion.

Valerie stood up and held the lavender close to her chest, her back facing the 3 girls.

“Hey bitch, look at us!” Vanessa growled out, which sounded more like a cat mewing.

“What are you talking about? She can’t see us remember? She’s blind.” Stephanie’s shrill voice sent shivers up Valerie’s spine. Natalie giggled at the comment.

“Oh you’re right! What to do when you can’t even see any of us? Well its better that way because then she wouldn’t have to see her ugliness every time she passes by a mirror.” All three laughed at that comment.

“I know right? Like…she’s just so…like…” Natalie started.

“Fugly!” Stephanie finished.

“Hey! You freak, why don’t you turn around, you look like an old hag standing like that.” Vanessa laughed again.

“Yeah! But then she’s blind so no wonder why. Maybe she’s just an old lady in disguise as a scrawny, ugly girl.”