Ch. VIII - Winged Caterpillars.

[ Jay. ]

This is finally a weekend that’s I’m getting pretty happy about. After that Monday, Chresanto and I couldn’t have that picnic that he planned because I had to get back to work; not only on Tuesday, but the rest of the following days. So this middle Saturday afternoon, he decided to schedule the outing, which it’s the best day of the week to arrange it. You would catch me freaking out on what should I wear or how should I dress my hair, but the concerning feels shouldn’t be able to interfere since we met a few times.

Right now, it’s ten something in the morning and I’m driving in Oakland, my hometown. It’s approximately five hours and twenty-five minutes from where I live; so yeah, I’ve been on the road since five o’clock. I’m dropping off my younger sister, Rebecca, home. She’s been chilling at my condo at those days that I had to work—the bummer part. But don’t worry, we kicked in some fun. It’s like almost once a month, I kidnap my sister just to keep me great company. Unlike mom—who practically disowned me—I give Rebecca more freedom. Like for instance, allow her stay up until four in the morning, unless it’s the night before she arrive back home.

But the more freedom doesn’t mean unlimited freedom. Don’t get it fucking twisted.

“You picking up next month sometime?” Rebecca asked, disturbing the on-and-off silence.

“Hopefully yeah, and probably a week before your senior year starts,” I informed. “You’re driving back and forth the next time.”

“What?” she groaned and giggled concurrently, softly slamming her head on the passenger’s seat headrest. “But you’re the morning person here!”

“Where you get that lie from?” I chuckled.

“It’s really obvious because I have to get up in the crack of dawn,” she answered.

Then, I drove in silence a little bit, thinking about a plan for the next time.

“Alright how about this,” I began. “We go late. Like in the afternoon or even at night, your choice.”

“That’s way much better,” Rebecca agreed.

If she chooses night, that means that I’ll be on the road and I’ll get home probably when dawn breaks, since the ride is ten hours altogether. I’m not gonna complain, though. I love my sister so much that I’m willing to sacrifice anything for her.

“Oh, and I hope your little date goes well today,” she added. I know she’s smiling at me while my eyes is setting on what’s ahead.

“Shut up, it’s not a date,” I muttered, feeling that my cheeks are getting warm.

“Who is this kid is inviting other than you?” she asked like she wanna prove a point.