Chapter Eight: With Love Comes Heartache

Chapter Eight

        It was almost two in the morning when Buffy decided to head home. She had decided that it was time to come clean about Spike. 'He was right', Buffy thought to herself. 'What he said about them not being my true friends if they can't accept my decision... he was right.' She was willing to take any thrashing that her friends would throw at her and at this point she just didn't care. Spike made her happy and that should be all that matters, right? The love they had for one another was a strong one indeed. They had a trust that was unbreakable. It had not always been that way. Buffy knew of the prejudices she had learned about her role as the slayer and what relationship a slayer would have to all demons alike. All were evil in their own way... even Spike. They couldn't feel and they were unable to love. It was indeed safer and kept her from feeling for them. But for Angel and Spike... it was different. They both had a soul and were able to love her back. Angel just could not accept they could be together. Angel feared more about how they would turn up throughout the years. Not Spike, though. Spike had never said anything about the 'what if' when years go by. 

        He was just always there to say that he loved her in some way. Spike had proven that to her countless of times. She had tried not to love him but there was just something about him that she couldn't help but love. It was the same when she was with Angel. When he lost his soul and she had to kill him, yes it was hard for her but she kind of dealt with it. Until he came back and then it got even harder for her. She went through hell trying not to love him but a part of her still could not help that. Even now she had love for Angel. But the love she had for Spike was now far deeper than her love for Angel. The love for Spike was born from hatred to friendship and built from passion. A passion that had never dimmed. 'I'm going to finally accept him. I am going to be considered his', she thought. Spike had mostly given up on her and just enjoyed the time they did spend with one another. He finally accepted what she had confessed to him but would he believe what she would say to him next?

        Buffy was finally in front of her house and saw all the lights on. 'Hmmm... that's strange and yet may not be good', she thought to herself. She did expect this though. With going to encounter Deidra and it being this late... oh yeah she was in for it. Rushing inside she saw everyone sitting on the couch. She took off her jacket and hung it up and went into the living room. 

"Glad to see you’re OK, Buffy. How did it go with Deidra?" Willow asked. 

"No go. Came to close to the end of me." She looked at everyone and saw that they were hiding something from her. 

"Everything OK?" Willow lightly smiled and motioned Buffy to look to her right. Xander was standing by the kitchen doorway. 

"Long time no see", he said smiling. 

"Oh my God, Xander!" She screamed out before quickly running to him practically jumping in his arms. 

"When did you get here?" She asked as they both went to the chair and Xander sat down as Buffy sat on the arm of the chair. 

"Well, I did miss my girls an awful lot so I thought, 'Hey, what the hell. Let's go visit'. Plus... I kind of lost my job and couldn't pay rent so I got evicted. I'm going to get my old job back with construction. I'm basically a shoe in for it", Xander said gloating while also trying not to sound so lame. 

"That's great there, Xand. So, where are you staying?" Buffy asked. 

"Well... I was going to see if I can crash with my mom..." Buffy interrupted him, placing her hand on his arm.