Chapter 17 "I Promise I'll Do Better"

After Alicia drops Shaylynn off at her house, she washes all the clothes she bought.
As the clothes are drying, Shaylynn finally decides on which room is going to be the nursery.
Looking around the room she decides on how she's going to decorate.
After a couple of hours of being home by herself, she decides to leave.

~~~~~~~

Casey is sitting in his Quarters filling out paperwork when he hears a knock.
He looks to see Severide standing at the door, he waves him in and goes back to filling out the paperwork.
Casey hears the door open, "What can I do for you, Kelly?" he asks filling out a section.
"Well, the last time I checked I wasn't Kelly," he hears Shaylynn say.
Casey smiles drops his pen on the desk and quickly stands up making his way over to her.
He pulls her close and kisses her.
"Have you been home yet?" he asks her.
"Yes," she tells him, "I never realized how big that house was until you came into my life! And now that you're not there with me, I'm lonely. Plus there's something else."
Casey looks at her concerned, "Are you alright?" he asks.
"Yes, I'm fine," she says.
"Are the babies okay?" Casey asks.
"Yes, they're fine," Shaylynn tells him.
"Than what is it?" he questions.
"While Alicia and I were out shopping she received a call about Jay. She rushed to his house and let's just say there was a situation that was handled. To make a long story short, he kissed me," she tells him.
Casey just stares at her, "Matt," Shaylynn says.
"Yeah, I heard you," he tells her.
"I had to tell you. I swore I wouldn't keep any more secrets," she tells him.
"And I appreciate that," Casey tells her.
Shaylynn looks at her phone, "I should be going so you can get back to work."
Casey looks at her depressed, Shaylynn touches his face.
"We're going to have to get use to this time apart," she says, "Of course me coming here didn't help anything."
"Don't say that! Seeing you was what I needed!" Casey tells her.
"I better go or I'll never leave," she says.
Casey kisses her, "I'll walk you out," he tells her.
He grabs her hand and leads her out.
Standing by Truck, Casey watches Shaylynn walk down the driveway. 

Thirty minutes later, a call comes in for Squad and 61

~~~~~~

Arriving at the call, Severide gets out to see a car with its front end all smashed in and an SUV on its side.
A man runs up to him, "Did you see what happened?" Severide asks him.
"Yeah, the fool in the car was speeding and ran the red light and slammed right into the SUV and well you see what happened," the man tells him, "Myself and a few other guys tried to get the woman out of the SUV but she's in there pretty good. The seatbelt seems to be jammed and the airbags won't deflate."
"Do you know if she has a pulse?" Severide asks.
"Yes, when I checked she had a pulse," the man says.
"Thanks for the information," Severide tells the man patting him on the back.
Severide looks over at Brett and Foster who are checking on the guy in the car, "Well?" he asks him.
Brett shakes her head 'no', "Alright everyone, let's get into the SUV!" Severide yells out.
Severide climbs up onto the SUV and looks down inside, "It's Shaylynn!" he yells climbing down in.
"Shaylynn, can you hear me?" he asks her.
She slowly opens her eyes, "Kelly?" she says faintly.
"Yeah, you stay with me, okay! We're going to get you out," he tells her.
Tony climbs up onto the SUV and climbs down in to help Severide.
Capp and Cruz climb up and hand down a backboard with a C-collar.
Tony puts the C-collar on Shaylynn as Severide takes his knife out of his pocket. He deflates the airbags and cuts the seatbelt.
Putting his hands on her, Tony makes sure Shaylynn doesn't move as Severide quickly puts his knife back in his pocket and grabs onto her.
They both put her on the backboard and strap her on.
"Are you two ready?" Severide asks Capp and Cruz.
"Yeah, hand her up!" Cruz tells him.
Severide and Tony hand her up as Capp and Cruz grab on.
Once Shaylynn's out, Severide and Tony quickly climb out and down onto the pavement.
Cruz and Capp lower the backboard down to Severide and Tony, who then put it on the waiting gurney.
Brett and Foster run the gurney over to the Ambulance, "Someone needs to get ahold of Casey," Tony tells Severide.
"I'll call him," Severide says as he watches the Ambulance speed away.