Chapter 7 "Stay Away From My Daughter"

Walking into the Firehouse, Shaylynn doesn't want to be here.
She wants to go back to Med and be with Casey.
Since she can't do that, she heads to his office.

Walking into the Bullpen she notices Gorsch is in Boden's office.
Shaylynn walks over, stands in the doorway watching what he's doing.
Not seeing that someone is watching him, he continues to go through Boden's drawers.
Clearing her throat, Gorsch looks up to see Shaylynn standing there.
"Pretty sure this isn't your office! But wait, that's right you don't have an office here!" Shaylynn tells him.
Gorsch comes around Boden's desk, "What's your deal?" he asks.
"What do you mean?" Shaylynn asks him.
"I've seen the way you look at me," he tells her with a sly smile on his face.
Shaylynn snickers, "Don't flatter yourself!" she tells him.
Gorsch walks past her and out the door.
Shaylynn turns around and walks over to Casey's office closing the door behind her.
She walks over to his desk.
Walking around it, she picks up Casey's Captains coat that's hanging on the back of his chair.
Putting it on it, she breathes in Casey's scent.
Sitting down in his chair she looks to see the door to his office is opening.
Boden walks in and smiles at her, "It looks good on you! You should wear it," he tells her.
"Thanks but I can't wear it out there. Would it be alright if I stayed in here for a little while longer?" she asks.
"Take all the time you need!" Boden tells her.
"Thank you!" Shaylynn says.
Boden closes the door, I wonder what Gorsch was looking for, Shaylynn wonders to herself.
She lays her head down on the desk and closes her eyes.
The sound of the alarm wakes her up.
Standing up Shaylynn quickly runs out of the office so not to be left behind.
She makes it out in enough time to get her gear on.
"Hey everyone, we have a new Captain!" Herrmann says.
Everyone looks at Herrmann who nods toward Shaylynn.
With everyone looking at her she can't imagine why Herrmann would say something like that until she remembers about Casey's coat.
"Shit!" she says taking the coat off and laying it on Severide's chair.
Everyone loads up and heads out.
In the truck, Severide looks back to see Shaylynn looking out the window, "Shaylynn," he says.
She turns her head, "What?!"
"It was nice to see you in Matt's coat," he tells her.
Shaylynn shakes her head, "I looked like a teenage girl wearing her boyfriend's coat!" she tells him.
"You looked like a woman wearing a man's coat she's worried about," Severide tells her.

~~~~~~

Pulling up at the call at an abandoned warehouse, everyone gets out and starts getting their gear on.
As soon as Shaylynn gets out of Squad she smells something, "Do you smell that?" she asks Cruz.
"I smell something. Probably whatever's inside burning," he tells her and goes back to putting his gear on.
Shaylynn runs over to Boden, "We have to get away from here, NOW!" she tells him.
"Why? What is it?" Boden asks her.
"The building is going to blow! We need to move now!" Shaylynn tells him.
"Everyone load up! Double time!" Boden radios out.
Everyone quickly loads up, "Since you're right here, just get in my car," Boden tells her.
Shaylynn gets in front of Boden and gets in the driver's seat. Boden gives her a look then goes around to the passenger side and gets in.
"Follow Shaylynn!" Boden radios out.
In Truck, Otis looks at Herrmann. While in Squad, Tony looks at Severide wondering what Boden's talking about.
Shaylynn speeds off with Truck, Squad, and Engine behind her.
Making it a block away, Shaylynn stops, "Tell everyone not to get out!" she tells Boden.
"Do not get out!" Boden radios out.
Suddenly there's a huge explosion.
A few seconds later stuff starts hitting the trucks.
Shaylynn looks out the driver's side window and sees what it is. She grabs Boden's helmet and puts it down over his face then does the same for herself. Just then, bricks hit the windshield making the glass explode.
When it finally seems that the bricks have stopped falling, Truck and Squad get out of their trucks and run up to Boden's car.
Severide opens Shaylynn's door as Herrmann opens Boden's, "Are you two alright?" Herrmann asks.
"I'm fine," Boden tells Herrmann looking to his side at Shaylynn, "Are you alright?" he asks her.
"I'm fine," she says as she makes her way out.
Severide looks at her then looks down at her hands, "Shaylynn..." he says to her seeing that her hands are cut up.
"I said I'm fine," she says looking Severide in the eyes.
"If I don't make sure you get looked at, Matt will have my ass!" Severide tells her.
"I'll have Sylvie and Emily look at them when we get back," she tells him.
"You'll have them looked at now!" Severide tells her leading her back to Truck.
"Alicia, would you look over her hands?" Severide asks her.
"Sure!" Alicia says.
Alicia looks over Shaylynn's hands then looks at her, "Are you alright?" Alicia asks her.
"Yes, I'm just worried," Shaylynn tells her.
"Matt's going to be fine!" Alicia says.
"Anything can happen between now and when he's discharged," Shaylynn says looking down at the ground.