Chapter 12 "Things Can Change"

After a couple of days, Shaylynn's discharged.
Casey helps her into his truck and drives off toward her house.
Something has been on his mind and Shaylynn can tell, "What's wrong?" she asks him.
"There's something I've been meaning to ask you," he tells her.
"What is it?" Shaylynn asks him.
"Why did you push me out of the way?" he asks her.
"Because you're more important!" she tells him looking out the window.
"More important?" he questions her.
"More important to the CFD," she tells him.
Casey reaches over and grabs her hand, "But you're important to me! If it ever comes down to you or me again, you save yourself!" he tells her.
Shaylynn turns her head and looks at him, "I can't do that!" she tells him, "That's not in my nature! I save people! I never run away!"
"Shaylynn, Dr. Choi even said you're lucky that copper pipe didn't break any of your ribs or your spine!" he tells her getting pissed, "I would be lost if anything happened to you!"
"And I would be lost without you!" she tells him.

~~~~~~~

Once at Shaylynn's house, Casey helps her upstairs to her room. A room he's never seen since they're always going back to his place. 

He helps her into bed and covers her up

Shaylynn looks at him with a questioning look, "Aren't you staying with me?" she asks him.
Casey just stares at her. 

She reaches her hand out to him, he puts his hand on her's

Shaylynn pulls him closer to the bed, "Stay with me," she tells him.
Casey walks closer, "If I do, I'm going to want to make love to you," he tells her.
Shaylynn sits up on her knees, she grabs the bottom of his shirt, and pulls it up over his head, "Then do it," she tells him.
Casey starts kissing her.
He reaches down and grabs the backside of her thighs, picks her up, then sits her down on the bed.
Shaylynn starts undoing his belt, then his zipper, pushing his jeans and boxer briefs to the floor.
Casey grabs her shirt, taking it off of her.
Shaylynn lays back on the bed, lifts her hips, as Casey grabs onto her pants, then pulls them and her panties off.
Casey makes his way down and enters her.
Shaylynn puts her hands down on his waist, grabbing onto him to guide him deeper into her.
A couple of hours later, Casey's getting dressed, "What are you doing?" Shaylynn asks him.
"I thought I would go and get us something to eat," he tells her.
Shaylynn smiles, "Hurry back!"

Thirty minutes later, Casey's back with a pizza.
Walking to the kitchen, he notices Shaylynn isn't downstairs. Grabbing some plates and few drinks, he heads upstairs where he finds her still in bed watching TV.
"I take it we're eating here?" Casey asks her.
"Yes," Shaylynn says.
Casey takes off his shoes and is just about ready to sit on the bed, "Nope!" she tells him.
"What?" Casey questions.
"Get undressed!" she tells him.
Casey takes off his shirt and then his pants, he's about ready to sit down again, "No! ALL of your clothes!" Shaylynn tells him.
He shakes his head then takes off his boxer briefs.
Finally, he's able to sit down on the bed. He covers up as Shaylynn hands him a plate with pizza on it.
Casey looks at the TV, "What are you watching?" he asks her then takes a bite.
"It's a show about Firefighters called Chicago Fire. The Captain's hot!" she tells him.
Casey stops chewing, turns his head, and glares at her.
Shaylynn starts laughing, "You're hot too!"
By the time the show is over, they're done eating.
Casey looks over at Shaylynn, "What?" she asks him.
"Dessert time!" Casey says pulling her down under the covers.

~~~~~~~

A couple of months have gone by.
The CPD was able to find the World War II bombs so Shaylynn didn't have to worry about defusing them.
Gorsch has been keeping his distance from Shaylynn, which is making things difficult for her and trying to get more information on him.
Casey and Shaylynn have been planning their wedding and decided the Firehouse would be the perfect place to get married at since that's where they met.
With everything in place, their wedding is only weeks away.

~~~~~~~~~

Sitting in Molly's, Shaylynn is busy on her phone replying to emails about the wedding that she doesn't notice someone has sat down at her table.
After a few more minutes she looks up to see Halstead sitting across from her.
"Have a seat!" she tells him sarcastically.
"Do you want to go out for dinner?" he asks her.
Shaylynn glares at him, "Seriously?! Pretty sure you know I'm engaged!" she tells him.
"Things can change," Halstead tells her.
"What's that supposed to mean?" she asks him.
"Before coming here I saw Matt sitting in a diner with Gabby, holding her hand," he tells her.
"You're lying!" Shaylynn tells him.
Halstead takes out his phone and slides it across the table to her.
She looks at it to see a picture of Casey in a diner with his hand on the table holding his ex-wife's hand smiling at her.
Shaylynn shakes her head, she can't believe what she's seeing.
"I'm sorry, Shaylynn," Halstead tells her.
"Are you?!" she asks standing up, "How long ago did you see them?"
"Right before I came here," he says.
"Text me the picture," Shaylynn tells him.
Halstead grabs his phone and sends her the picture.
Shaylynn picks up her bag, "What are you doing?" he asks.
"I'm going to go and confront him. By the picture, they're at the diner one street over," she says walking to the door.
Halstead stands up and follows her.
Shaylynn starts walking as Halstead gets in his truck confused to what she's doing.
He pulls up beside her, "Why are you walking?" Halstead asks her.
"Because Matt dropped me off at Molly's saying he had an errand to run," Shaylynn says pissed off.

~~~~~~~~

In the diner, Casey and Dawson are talking away not noticing that Shaylynn's standing outside looking in at them.
Something finally catches Casey's eyes and he looks outside to see Shaylynn glaring at him.
"Shit!" Casey says hurrying out of the booth.
Once Shaylynn sees Casey get up she starts walking away.
"What's wrong?" Dawson asks.
"That's my finacé," he tells her.
"You're what?" Dawson questions, "Why didn't you tell me you were engaged?!"
Casey rushes out of the diner to catch up with Shaylynn, "SHAYLYNN!" he yells at her.
Shaylynn stops and turns around, "I can't believe you of all people would do something like this!" she tells him.
"She just wanted to talk," Casey tells Shaylynn.
"So why didn't you tell me that?! Instead, you told me you had an errand to run. And here you were holding her hand on the table," she says to him as Halstead pulls up beside her.
Casey gets a pissed off look on his face, "What does he want?"
"He just wants to talk," Shaylynn tells him opening the passenger side door.
"You're going home with him?!" Casey questions her.
Shaylynn walks over to Casey, "You dropped me off at Molly's so you could 'run' your errand. I have no way home!" she tells him.
She walks back over to Halstead's truck, "And here I was sitting in Molly's answering emails about our wedding while you're having a grand ole time with your ex-wife!" she says to him.
Getting up into Halstead's truck, she shuts the door and Halstead drives off.
In the blink of an eye, Casey's world has been turned upside down.