5SOS Racist, Homophobic & Sexist?

I've come across a post on Tumblr which I would like to respond to. Italics is her, bold is me. Bc you know, IM BOLD :D

sexist: 

heartbreak girl: people have been suggesting the lyrics of heartbreak girl are sexist.

I don't think they're sexist, I just think they're stupid.

the lyrics people have been mentioning are “and i’m stuck in the friendzone again”. while i don’t agree that this is sexist in any way, many people have been upset by this. i personally don’t understand how this is sexist at all because the technical definition of sexism is “prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.” i don’t see at all how this discriminates against women at all? this term is a term used on men and women, not just women. 

The friendzone is a stupid concept in the first place. The girl has a choice whether or not she wants to be with the guy. It doesn't matter if you're nice to her, mean to her, gentle with her, does not matter. In the end, all that matters is if the girl wants to date with you. I dont know if that's sexist or not, but I'm gonna go with just stupid lyrics and stupid concept for a song.

out of my limit: the lyrics people are upset over in this song are “‘cause I never wanna be that guy, who doesn’t even get a taste. no more having to chase, to win that prize.” people have assumed that the “prize” is sex. i don’t agree with this at all. this song was written years ago and the song is about a girl. the girl is the prize, not sex. now whether that upsets you, that’s your decision. to me, this is a more understandable reason to get upset over heartbreak girl, but still i don’t really read into these kinds of things and get upset over them.

I agree with you on this one, good job bro. 

michael assigning gender roles: i don’t even want to talk about this because i think it’s completely ridiculous. michael posted this photo on his instagram and people were complaining that he assigned gender roles to the drinks. i really don’t understand why people were so upset about this like ??? i’m a girl and in no way offended, but to each their own. 

See, you say "im a girl and in no way offended." that doens't mean no one else is. I'm offended, and that does matter. Obviously other people have been offended, so I think it's quite stupid that you put that in there. As for the post, Michael should have just no posted it. It's good to express your opinion, but his opinion is rude and SEXIST. So he is sexist.

enforcing rape culture:

"i would just stare at her creepily": honestly, nothing bothered me more than this. how can you even accuse someone of this for making a small comment? luke was asked how he would approach a girl in an interview (i can’t find the interview but if anybody links me to it i’ll put it in here) and he says “i’d just stare at her creepily.” people have taken this and twisted it to make it seem like he meant it as enforcing rape culture. this is honestly ridiculous and i can’t even begin to understand why people would even accuse someone of this. you can clearly tell he meant this as a whole “i wouldn’t know what to say to her”, not “i’m planning on raping her later”. to even say this about anybody because they make a comment completely unrelated to rape is pretty horrible. this is the equivalent to saying if you stared at a cute boy in class you’re enforcing rape culture and that is completely ridiculous.