Chapter 20

Calum wasn't right.

Atleast, Jess didn't think so. It had been about a week since Jess had asked Luke to leave. She wanted him to leave, but she had atleast expected him to return sometime around the next day or something.

It wasn't like Luke to just not come back. He hadn't tried to call her or text her or anything, which kind of made her super sad because he was calling and texting everyone else. Even Ashton!

"Jess," Calum whined. "Come one, get out of bed, I'm sure he'll come around."

Then Jess mumbled something into her pillow that Calum couldn't understand.

"What?"

Jess huffed then lifted her face up from the pillow so her voice wasn't so muffled, "I said, 'if that were true, he would've come back by now.'" And with that, she dropped her face back into the pillow, and Ashton just kept an arm wrapped around her as they cuddled in her bed. They had decided to make it official and call themselves "a thing", Calum knew, Luke probably knew, and now they just had to be catious when they decided to tell Michael.

"Well, he just wants the okay from you before he tries to do anything...."

"TELL HIM I NEED HIM!" Jess shouted into the pillow, and Calum just barely caught the gist of what she said.

Just about four seconds later, the doorbell rang, and Jess knew just who it was.

She literally threw herself out of bed, and almost slipped because of her stupid socks, making Ashton fall off the bed and Calum actually jump back and almost piss himself because her actions surprised him that much. Jess raced down the stairs to get to the door. She had on another pair of fluffly socks (turquoise this time), grey sweatpants, and a maroon colored baggy sweatshirt.

She quickly pulled the door open to reveal a tired (and also very nervous/worried) looking Luke. His sunglasses were on, and the reason had to be that he was drinking because it was eight AM, the month was May, and it wasn't sunny. At all.

However, Jess didn't care at this point because she just pulled him into a tight embrace, taking in his scent mixed with the smell of alcohol.

"I hate this." She mumbled, her words muffled since she burried her face into his chest.

"What?" He asked in response.

"I said 'I hate this.'" she replied, turning her head to the side so her cheek was pressed against his chest, making sure her words came out clearer.

"No, I meant, like, what is it that you hate?" Luke corected himself.

She pulled away to look him in the eyes, still clutching onto his sides while he had his grip on the small of her back. She took this as an oppertunity to take in his appearance. It was quite similar to hers, a pair of sweatpants and a black hoodie, a white t-shirt peaking out from the top.

"This. Us. When we fight, I feel awful, when we don't talk or hang out, it's like there's an emptiness inside that I can't get rid of until your with me, but then sometimes when you're with me, right now for instance, I just want you to leave, and the cycle repeats. It's just- I just... I don't know what to do...." She spoke, whispering the last few words, as she rested her forehead against his chest.

He just stood there, silently rubbing soft patterns on her back while he thought about what she had just said to him. He was a little hurt knowing that she wanted him to leave, but he knew it was his fault anyway.

Shortly after, he pulled away, gripping her shoulders while he looked down at the tiny girl, "Hey, I'm gonna go, okay? I just wanted to come see you...."