Chapter 18

"Where the heck did you find a baby bottle?" Jess whisper-giggled.

"I was just gonna ask why you had them in your cupboards in the first place." Luke whisper-giggled back.

"Hmm... Weird." Calum repeated.

Michael began to stir in his sleep, furrowing his brows and whimpering as he began to awaken.

"Oh shit." Luke muttered then grabbed the first hand that was closest to him, not check who it belonged to and ran, whisper-shouting, "last one upstairs has to take care of him!"

Once he and the mystery person reached the top of the stairs, he finally turned around to see whose hand he was holding, and was met with a warm pair of green eyes and a very pretty smile.

"Jessy," Luke spoke quietly with a dorky smile spread across his face.

"Hi...." Jess smiled looking down at the ground as she began to blush.

He grabbed her chin and tilted her head up towards him. Her eyes grew wide, and her lips parted. Luke stared down at the beautiful girl, gently removing her hair from her eyes with his free hand.

'This is it,' Luke thought to himself, 'I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna kiss her.'

He slowly began to lean down as her eyelids began flutter shut.

The closer he got, the more insecure he began to feel about this. He knew that something had happened between Jess and Ashton before he walked in, but chose to pretend he didn't notice, mostly because it hurt too much to think about.

He continued to slowly get closer... closer... clo-

"No! I will not take care of that beast!"

They were literally only about an inch and a half away from eachother before Calum had run up the stairs. Calum turned towards them, his smile fading and eyes growing wide as he realized that he had just interrupted something.

Luke dropped his hand from her face, and looked down defeated because he was so close to finally getting what he had been wanting for what felt like so long now.

Jess turned towards Calum, an evident blush making it's appearance known on her cheeks.

"I- I'm sorry. I'll just...." Calum trailed off.

"No, no. Cal, it's- it's fine." Jess spoke, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"I- I'm just gonna go help Ash with Michael." He said, with a weak smile as he sent an apologetic look towards Luke.

He obviously knew that Luke had already found out about Jess and Ashton from the hurt look in his eyes when they entered the room. Jess and Ash clearly hadn't noticed, for they were paying too much attention to the fake smile he had worn. But Cal knew.

Because if you were really looking into his eyes, you could see how he was truly feeling.

"Okay." Jess said, her voice barely audible.

Calum lingered for a second or two before quickly spinning on his heel and jogging down the basement steps.

Jess stood there awkwardly before saying anything.

"Are- are you okay?" she asked, timidly looking up at the blonde haired boy before her.

Luke stayed silent and when Jess tried to make him look at her he moved his head away.

"Yeah. Just dandy." He muttered, the anger evident in his voice.

"Luke, don't lie to me." Jess said quietly, but sternly. "Are you okay?" She repeated.