Chapter 5

"Jess, I am so sorry." Luke whispered into her hair. Jess just sniffled and nodded in response, unable to come up with a coherent sentence.

"Okay, that's it, it's chick flick and junk food time!" Calum said, he pushing past them and going up the stairs. Ashton chuckled and followed close behind his friend. Jess giggled a little too.

"There you go." Luke said with a weak smile, pleased that Jess was in a bit of a lighter mood. She giggled again, pulling out of his warm embrace, wiping away some tears with the back of her hand.

Luke grabbed both of her hands and held them in his, staring down at her, his eyes gleaming.

"What?" she asked, brows knitting together in confusion.

"You're a mess!" He chuckled.

"Shut up!" Jess said pulling her hands away and shoving at his chest, laughing a little as well.

Luke caught her hands again and kept his lustful gaze on her.

"But you're still beautiful." He said, more serious this time.

She looked down at the ground blushing. Luke just smirked at the fact that he could make her blush. Out of nowhere she started sobbing again.

"Shhh.... I've got you Jess. You're alright, I've got you." He said, pulling her in close. The feel of her warmth against him made his heart speed up so much that he could almost hear it... He really hoped she didn't notice.

The guys came back down and put The Notebook in the DVD player and put some popcorn and candy on the coffee table, as well as some other chick flicks. They both walked over and took their spots on the sofa.

Luke kept hold of one of her hands and walked her over to the sofa. He sat down and was about to pull her down with him but she interjected.

"Sorry guys, I'll be right back. I'm gonna go change into something more comfortable." she said politely, as she exited the premises.

"So." Calum said with a smirk.

"What?" Luke said blushing a little as he was unable to make eye contact with either of the boys.

"What's going on between you and Jess?" Ashton answered, a smirk on his face as well.

"What? Nothing!" Luke replied defensively.

"Mhm, sure." Calum said sarcastically.

Not long after, Jess walked in, stunning as usual. She had some joggers and an old jumper on, her hair in a loose bun at the top of her head, makeup removed.

"You look lovely." Luke said to her honestly, a bright smile on his face.

He was constantly trying to tell her that she's prettier without makeup, but she never listened.

She'd just look at the ground and blush again. Luke smiled and scooted over a bit, and lightly patted on the new found space between him and the other guys.

She ran over and sat in her spot, grabbing the remote from the table and pressingplay.

-

"'Now say you're a bird.' 'If you're a bird, I'm a bird.'"

"I want that...." Jess calmly said before she began violently sobbing. She'd been doing this every other scene, and it made Luke feel terrible to see her cry like that. That arsehole was gonna pay, whether he did it or one of the other guys did.

"It's okay Jess! Please don't cry. it makes us all so sad to see you like this." He said sadly, holding her to his chest.

Just then the lights turned on and Michael was standing at the end of the staircase.

Michael took one look at Jess and his body tensed up.

"I- uh... is- what happened to Jess?" he asked, making her sob a bit louder (from the memory of earlier the guys guessed).

"Er.. come here Mate." Ashton said, getting up from his spot to take Michael to a different part of the room, farther so hopefully Jess wouldn't hear.

He looked back to the couch where Luke and Calum were consoling Jess, then at the floor.

"Josh cheated on her, he really broke her heart this time...." Ashton concluded sadly.

He looked back up at Michael to see his facial expression quickly change from confused, to pity, to utter rage. His fists were tightly clenched.

"I'm gonna kick his arse...." he snarled through gritted teeth and then stormed off up the stairs.

~