Chapter 39

-CASEY-

"You ready?" Ko said walking into my office buttoning his suit jacket. We had a meeting across the street with the DAs about Calvin's case.

"Yes let's go." I grabbed my Never Full and told

Tabitha I would be back.

"You showing. Nep coming through." Ko said as we walked out of the elevator into the lobby.

"I like how everyone thinks it's a boy. You know that's the last thing I want Ko. But this baby is giving me hell. I be on 10." I told him.

"Well don't be on 10 in here. Let's just see what they say." He told me as I gave him a "nigga please" look. Gabe sent me a text letting me know he made it to the airport. After reading it, I turned my phone off as Ko told the receptionist why we were here. The DA working the case came to get us and led us to the conference room.

"Good Afternoon to you both. How are you?" He said to me and Ko. I rolled my eyes.

"We're doing well." Ko said. I sat down and got comfortable.

"Well, we have the dash cam footage. We are going to release it tomorrow afternoon. General Thomas will have a press conference tomorrow morning. Here's your copy." He slid us a CD.

"We can watch it here." He said pointing to the TV.

He pressed play and we see the officer approach Calvin's car with his gun drawn immediately. The police report says he was pulled over for speeding so why was his gun drawn? A few words were exchanged and Calvin passed the cop his license. The cop then opened the door and pulled Calvin out aggressively. He shot Calvin instantly. Calvin reached for the gun and turned the gun back towards the officer with the officer's hand still on the trigger. The officer ended up shooting himself. Calvin then leaned against the car as more officers pulled up.

I looked at Ko as I took a deep breath. The ten cops that arrived on the scene immediately went to the other officers side. No one checked on Calvin until the paramedics arrived.

I sat back in my chair with my arm propped on the arm rest and my head covering my mouth. I looked at the DA with a side eye waiting on what he had to say.

"I think there's some grey area here. We're willing to discuss some plea options." He said.

"We need to discuss this with our client first. You know how this works Chandler." Ko said.

"I understand. The offer will remain open for a week."

"No disrespect Chandler but you never gave us an offer to leave open." Ko said.

"25 to life. We will take the death penalty off the table."

The room grew quiet and Chandler sat with a smirk.

"Chandler? Right?" I asked. I knew his name but this was something I did when I'm angry.

"Yes" He said with that same smirk.

"Is approaching a car for speeding with guns blazing protocol? Is pulling someone out of their car during a traffic stop protocol?" I asked calmly.

"Well I'm not sure. But you'll get that information during discovery." He said.

"I'm going to communicate your offer to my client but I will tell you this. Until I get discovery, you can shove this and any other offer up your ass with the rest of the shit you're full of... let's go Ko before I snap." I said walking out the door.

I was livid. Did we not just watch the same video? How the hell was Ko so calm? We sped walk back to the office and Ko didn't say a word. He could barely keep up with me.

We got back to the office and I scheduled a meeting with Calvin this evening so we could update him. Ko sat on my couch working on whatever. I only saw him on the computer and didn't ask questions.

My work phone started ringing. It was Tab and she told me it was Gabe.

G: what's up mama? You good? How's Duece?

C: he's good. The state is with the shit and it just pissed me off.

G: I think it's just the hormones Case.

C: whatever. I'm not with the bullshit. They know they are wrong. And it reminds me of the shit they tried to pull on you.

G: well I'm good. Don't worry about me. Take care of ya self Case. And turn your phone back on.

C: oh I forgot -I reached for my phone out of my purse and powered it back on.

C: it's on.

G: aight call me later.

C: cool. 143

G: 1432

That was something we started a while ago and a lot of people didn't know what it meant. 143 means I love you. 1432 meant I love you too. It was cute to have something we could share.

It was also crazy how his voice could calm me down even though I couldn't stand his ass right now. After talking to Gabe, Ko and I talked about the case and discussed our strategies. We wanted to have our own press conference tomorrow or the day after to discuss the footage after it's released. Ko thought it was best I speak which meant Ima have to prepare because my mouth has been reckless.

We spent the next few hours prepping for the case and press conference. I was tired. I texted Gabe and let him know I was home and tired. Soon as I hit my bed, I was knocked out.