Chapter 22

-CASEY-

Incoming Call - Tabitha (Office Line)

Me: hello? (In a groggy voice. I just rolled over to check my phone as Gabe lay next to me sleep)

T: hey Casey. Sorry to wake you. I have a few things to run by you.

Me: what's up?

T: well first, are you attending your alma mater for homecoming?

Me: yeah why? (I continued as I moved out of Gabe's arms. I could feel him moving but he wasn't up yet.)

T: the Black Students Association called and would like for you to sit on a panel on that Friday. It's a Diversity & Inclusion Panel

Me: are they not doing the homecoming concert?

T: yes, they are. They have four tickets for you and three guest. Apparently, OG is performing.

Me: OG? As in Gabe? My Gabe?

T: yes.

Me: interesting. Okay that sounds great actually so set that up. What's next? (I guess he heard me say his name cause he rolled over to check his phone.)

T: I also got a call this morning from the people of The Morning Show with John Cannon. He's wanting you to be a guest on his show.

The Morning Show was a well known show that is taped in NY and aired all over the US. John Cannon is known for blasting Trump and any other bigot on the daily. This was big for little ole me.

Me: John Cannon. The John Cannon?! You're kidding right. (I asked her as I sat up in the bed with the phone glued to my ear.)

T: Yes. The John Cannon. I told them I would ask if you were interested and then call them back.

Me: Okay that's fine. Just make sure I'm free that week. What is it about?

T: He saw your video from the Justice Struct. He wants to talk about that and your work on the Tyreke Henderson case.

Me: Okay sound good. Anything else?

T: Yes, one more thing. I received a settlement from the City today regarding Tyreke. They are offering the cap of $750,000.

Me: I knew that was coming. Call his mom and see if she wants to accept that. If so, tell her to come in and sign. Call me back after she does and I'll drop by to sign it myself.

T: I thought you were in New York?

Me: Long story. I'm here. Just call me if you need me.

T: okay, enjoy the rest of your vacation.

I hung up the phone and headed to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face before going to cook breakfast.

I heard Gabe yelling from the bed so walked out with the toothbrush in my mouth as I brushed my teeth to see what he was saying.

"Who was that?" He asked again. "Tabitha, she had to run a few things by me." I said as I went back to spit the toothpaste out and wash my mouth. I washed my face and went and sat on the couch in front of my bed.

"You didn't tell me you were performing at my alma mater." I told Gabe. "Where?" he asked. We still had so much to learn about each other. "Tennessee Southern College." I responded. "I went there for undergrad. I didn't expect you to perform of all people. It's just a small HBCU that no one heard of."