Chapter 12

-CASEY-

After waking Gabe up and sending him on his way, I told him to meet me back here in two hours. That gave my full house time to get dressed. We were going to my childhood church which was about an hour away. We grabbed brunch at a local spot downtown in my hometown as usual.

I knew I had a busy few weeks lined up. In two weeks, I would be trying this wrongful death case against the city for the death of this 25 year old black male that was shot. The city declined to press charges saying that it was justified. That is the exact reason I went to law school. I hated how America treated our black men. I loved my black men and refused to let anyone place a target on their back simply because they're black. After the trial, I was flying to Aruba with my family (my mom, granny, brothers, and nephews). I lined the trip up with the trial cause I knew I would need a vacation.

I was thinking about inviting Gabe. I had such a good time with him this weekend. I liked the chemistry we shared and our vibe. The vibe I've been missing. It's like we're friends first. I wasn't the type to rush into love or catch feelings which lead to me being misunderstood. I wanted to enjoy life with the person I'm dating not be held back.

I finished getting dressed and checked myself out in the mirror. I wore an ankle length gold mesh wrap around skirt with a white button down with the sleeves folded to my elbows that I tucked into my skirt. I added a gold necklace that my mom got me with my granddad's name on it. I switched my apple watch band to the gold one. My jeweler iced out both my gold and silver apple watch bands and I loved them. I decided to wear foundation, highlight, mascara and my MAC Photo lipstick. My hair was in a messy high bun and I wore my gold hoops. I grabbed my gucci tote as I walked out my bedroom door. I walked out to the living room to see everyone sitting there waiting on me, including Gabe.

"Alright, come on before we're late. You know Uncle Tim will call us out." I said to everyone as they walked out the door with me. I tossed the keys to the jeep to Bree. Bree, Michelle, Jmike and KT rode in the jeep while Kev, Tish and Gabe rode with me in the G-Wagon.

I pulled out first so that Bree could follow me. As we were driving, I noticed Tish all in her phone smiling. Tish was my little cousin. She's thirteen years younger than me. I helped raise her because her mom already had six other kids. Tish was my baby. She was in school to be a veterinarian. She was shy so when I saw her smiling I had to figure out why.

"Who has you smiling like that?" I asked her as I turned the music down and looked at her through the rearview mirror.

"Huh?" She said looking up realizing I was talking to her.

"Who has you smiling like that? You heard me girl."

"A friend." She said

"What's his name?"

"How you know it's a he?" She said with a slight smirk.

"You're bi?" Kev said cutting his eyes at her. Gabe immediately started laughing.

"What? NO!" She said. "It's this dude named Gerald." She said with a smile.

"Gerald? He sound weak as hell." Kev said.

"Shut up Kev! Where did you meet him?" I asked.

For the rest of ride, Tish was telling us how she met Gerald at a party. He was a Kappa and light skinned. She said he was pretty nice but he had a lot of women chasing after him so she didn't really pay him any mind. I couldn't tell from the way she was smiling into the phone.

We finally got to the church right on time. We parked the cars and walked in. As soon as the doors open, everyone in church turned to see who it was. All eight of us walked in together. It was funny how the church folks were trying to figure out who we were. Once they realized it was me, the sweet old ladies started waving hard as if they were happy to see me. As we took our seats, I waved back with a smile to let them know I see them.