I'm a Vampire...(Epilogue)

Epilogue

Breathe. In...out. Repeat. I felt my lungs ache from expansion as I tried to breathe properly. In...out. I could smell the dusty air and the dust motes that I was breathing in. My eyes didn't open. I wasn't ready for that. Next to me, I could hear the breathing of John. It was slow and even, and that was the one thing that I concentrated on to stick to reality. Think of John.

I should be dead. A knife was plunged through my chest. I didn't know how long ago it was, but I had a feeling it was at least a couple of days. I let out a sigh, parting my lips slightly to allow the air to escape. The rest of my body lay still.

I heard a rustle beside me, a movement to get comfortable. I wanted to open my eyes, to apologize to John for making him a vampire. But I couldn't. It was like my eyes were glued shut, and the rest of my body was paralyzed.

My senses felt sharper than they had been before, and I knew instantly that the power Philip had offered me had become mine, whether he liked it or not. I had killed John, but I had twisted what he had said. John was now as strong as Philip, as his shifter blood had mixed with the vampire blood. I could feel the aura next to me, which was strong.

But I felt mine was stronger.

With every minute passing, I felt as my senses became sharper. My hearing stretched to ten miles, my breathing could pick up scents from all the way into the next city.

My feelings for John had intensified.

Two minutes later, I was struggling to move the slightest bit. I tried to move my fingers, and I was surprised when my thumb moved the slightest bit. Immediately next to me, I heard John move and his hand was in mine. Warmth radiated from me, and it was so different than the pain that felt like I was in only five minutes ago. His grip was strong, and again I tried to move.

My hand closed around his.

A gasp came from his mouth, and I knew that I had to open my eyes for him. I had to let him know that I would be okay. I had to believe in the power I had. Seconds went by as I willed the numb feeling to go away. It did.

My eyelids fluttered open, and immediately I closed them again. A window, just a rectangle of white light was in the right of my vision. I scrunched my eyes together, and I was grateful for the headache because I then knew that I really WAS alive, and that I was as powerful as ever.

I opened my eyes again, this time making sure too slowly. The only thing I could focus on was John standing above me. His blue eyes glistened as his face showed disbelief. He thought I would have died.

"Rose." He whispered my name. His voice sounded beautiful with my enhanced hearing. I could have listened to it all day.

The grip on my hand became stronger. I forced a smile onto my lips, letting him know that everything was going to be okay. It really would be.

"John." I whispered, it coming out scratchy. His smile became one of victory, and as I sat up to hug him, there was no pain from where the knife had landed in me. There was only the love that I felt for John.

We were as powerful as Philip and Amarande now. They would get what they deserved. Sooner or later, I would come for them.

And this time, I would have John on my side. We would be unstoppable.

--

Sequel is in my profile if you would like to check it out!