Chapter 45 : Insecurities

Carson

'Perhaps its true that when you fall inlove you loose yourself in the process' Carson thought as she sat by Sarah's home balcony. Her friend had been kind enough to let her stay with her since accoriding to Sarah, people tend to do foolish things when they're lonely.

'Carson, maybe you're overthinking things. He did went to the university to look for you' Sarah pulled her out of her reverie. She placed a mug of cocoa by the table.

'He didn't see me enough as his equal to tell me about the tabloids' she answered gloomily. Is she really still a child in his eyes that needs to be protected? She pondered haplessly.

'He cared enough to protect you' Sarah defended Asher. Her friends words stung like bees. Its true that he cares for her but will it be enough? Will it be enough for him to not hurt her and repeat what happened between him and Cindy? In the future will he only look at her?

'I do love him very much Sarah to the extent even I am afraid of the feelings itself.' she heived a deep sigh. She had lost confidence in herself to be the one to walk beside Asher.

'Everyone gets hurt when they fall inlove. The challenge is how to keep the fire burning even amidst of it all' her friend stated sadly. Carson didn't know how Sarah is able to move on from her love to Gio but one thing is for sure, she had grown maturely in the process. Unlike the way Carson is wallowing on the situation, Sarah had learned to let things be and start anew.

'I don't know Sarah. Its just that maybe being love with him is right but it happened at the wrong time' She had never been conflicted in her life than she had been.

'Then put it this way, years from now, do you think the things that happened between you and him will still matter?' All Carson could reply to her friend is silence.

'Can you see yourself with him in the future?' the daunting question made Carson think deeply. She didn't see  things that far. Even she isn't quiet sure now of the desires in her heart.

'You should go see him before its too late. Let's go' Sarah grabbed her by the hand. They were driven by Sarah's driver to Stone Industries.

Walking towards the office, everyone seemed to bat their attention to her. She wondered then how bad the tabloids must've for some to give her looks of disdain and for men to whistle or cat call her.

As she neared the alley where Asher's room was situated, she could hear someone shouting. Instead of getting in, she ended up eavesdropping.

~~~~~~

Asher

'These we're lies. Tell my lawyer to sue Cindy Salvatore for feeding the media this crap' he angrily pointed out. To his dismay, Mr. Meyers, the representative of Japanese investors came.

'Mr. Stone, you must be aware of why I am here today' the man in navy blue suit said as he draw out the stack of papers from his briefcase.

'If this is about the issue on media with me being in a relationship with a student then I bet you are here to try pull out from the deal we have' Asher had prepared himself with the worse. Especially since that morning, the company's phone had been ringing non-stop thriving to confirm on what the media covered.

'Actually we wanted to give you a chance to explain yourself.' Mr. Meyers said. Trust had always been the foundation of Stone Industries. The clients and partners his company have all place their trust in Stone Industries. And the stint of having his reputation being dragged to the mud just because he decided to follow his heart is causing him at dead ends.

'I am inlove and she's not sixteen, she's already an adult. Its just that she is still in college' he hated the need to explain himself but Mr. Meyers is the kind of man who wouldn't care to let go of you in a heartbeat. Everyone knows how keen and fair he negotiates deals.

'I see. Then I must advice you to clear your name  to avoid bumps in this partnership. Good Day' Mr. Meyer bid him goodbye. His eyes dart at the copy of contract with highlighted stipulation on credibility and reputation.

He slouched by his chair, gripping his hair. Everything had swivled out of control. Before he knew it, he not only messed his relationship with Carson but also he failed to protect her. Now, his company is also at risk of losing investors and clients due to the scandal created by Cindy.

~~~~~~

Carson

'Uhm, excuse me' she didn't know why she had followed the man who went out of Asher's office down to the car park. He is a man who appears to be in his forties.

'Yes' he faced her. She could tell from his accent that while there's English, there's also another accent mixed.

'If you are planning to part ways with Stone Industries due to the tabloids, then please don't. The CEO is a hardworking man, he had put a lot in his business. He doesn't deserve to be treated like someone immoral' she voiced out her thoughts. She didn't know if its guilt but all she know is that she wanted to protect him in her own way.

'I apologized its my fault that Mr. Stone had been misunderstood' she bowed her head, the way she saw it in Japanese movies. Just then she felt  light taps on her shoulder.

'Nothing to worry child. We adults work to resolve things on our own' Carson met the man's gaze who smiled at her assuringly.

'Thank you sir' she hugged him unconsciously, making the man laughed hautily.

'Now, I know why Mr. Stone is fond of you' he commented that had Carson stepped back with red cheeks. She can't believe she had once again managed to embarass herself with her actions.

'Anyway child, Goodluck' the man bid her as his driver open his car.

~~~~~~~

Author's Corner

Thank you for reading my story. I feel overwhelmed by the positive and encouraging feedbacks - messages I received. From an aspiring Filipino writer, Maraming Salamat.

Hugs n' Kisses
Marie