Chapter 39

A/N: Hello, my lovelies!! Sorry for the long wait, I'll keep this short so that you can get to reading. I had serious writer's block with this chapter but after acquiring a Beta reader to help me, I've gotten the ideas and inspiration to finish, so everyone can thank my new helper for aiding me lol. I hope that this cold, rainy November day finds everyone doing well and without further ado, please enjoy this long awaited chapter of SnR!!

~~***~~

Previously:

"Only those of royal blood can gain access to this secret place-- only you and I can open these doors-- as this is not only the resting place of our ancestors but also the location of the Sword of Heaven."

Silver gasped in shock at that revelation as Suno guided him inside, a stunned Mephiles bringing up the rear as the Cherub king said with pride, "Silver, welcome to the Pools of Eden."

~~

Words cannot even begin to describe just how speechless and stunned Mephiles was at that sudden revelation.

'The Sword of Heaven,' he thought to himself in shock, 'The last one...the third and final sword bestowed upon this world by the gods! It’s been missing for centuries and it’s been here all along?!'

And then his mind instantly reverted back to his old ways.

'With that sword, I could make Silver's promise to me a reality all on my own! I'd be able to rule all of Japan after all!' he said mentally as his thoughts ran wild, 'I could easily get the Sword of Earth from Sonic--he's more focused on his pups and family now and will most likely have no further use for it. The Sword of Hell is already in my possession, and with the Sword of Heaven, I'd have total control of all 3 realms!! I'd have unlimited power; absolutely no one would be able to stand in my way; I'd be a new god- -!!

And all thoughts came to a sudden screeching halt when the most blood-searing pain imaginable shot through his whole entire being, making him nearly bite his tongue to prevent himself from screaming out in untold agony as he clenched a hand over his pounding chest. It felt as if an Asian elephant was sitting down on his heart, forcing the breath from his lungs momentarily. The force of the pain was so strong that he nearly lost his footing, having to quickly hold onto the stone wall beside him for balance. Luckily, no one saw him since he had been at the back of the group whilst everyone else had ventured further into the vast cave system to explore.

Gasping heavily and fur drenched in a sudden cold sweat, the Demon Lord shakily removed his hand from his chest and gazed upon his palm that was soaked in blood. Swiftly pulling aside his robes to look at his chest, he saw that the X over his heart pulsed an angry red glow before slowly dimming back to a dull scar again.

"A warning," he gasped quietly as a sudden cold realization washed over him. It hadn't even been half an hour ago when he'd sworn an oath to never let the knowledge/possessions of this place be revealed, and here he was, already breaking that oath by looking to obtain more power! And if his own youkai hadn't warned him about breaking his oath, who knows how far he'd have gone!

…..To say that he was riddled with shame and self-loathing was an understatement.

'How can I be so....so f**king stupid?!' he mentally berated himself once he was finally able to yet again look presentable before slowly catching up with the others. 'I...I thought I was beyond all that by now. Unlimited power, feh! Those days of achieving more power are over and I need to accept that! This is no longer just about me anymore; I am a mate and a father and I have my family to think about. And besides, this is Silver's moment, his chance to finally be completely healed and I'm being selfish, as if the past few years with him haven't even happened to me!'