Chapter 26

Mephiles eventually entered the dining hall, and it was obvious he wasn't in his usual relaxed mood. His guests were already confused by their guest, and it became obvious to him that it wasn't Mephiles's idea to let him stay for dinner.

Once he was seated, the servants brought out their meal for the evening.

"Brother?" Shadow called out to Mephiles right when he was about to start eating, catching the other's attention.

"Care to introduce us?" He asked, gesturing to the cherub that seemed so out of place in a palace full of demons.

The demon's eyes flickered to the cherub and back to his brother. "This is Tenshi. He's a....visitor, sent by the cherub healer who had helped in Silver's recovery," He stated. "His grandson, I believe?"

Mephiles then received a curt nod from the angelic being.

"It is a pleasure to meet you all," the young cherub said to everyone when Meph begrudgingly introduced his family members to him afterwards.

"My lords, will it be possible to discuss the aforementioned matter in private after dinner?" he asked, though his attention was turned to Silver since the uke now had the letter.

Before Silver could give a reply, the demon lord spat one out, "I don't believe I have the time to make for you tonight." The demon lord was offended that Tenshi had almost been directly speaking to Silver. He was the head of the household, and the Demon Lord; therefore he should have directed his attention to him if he'd meant to speak to the both of them. And that was common knowledge, even in the Cherubic lands.

Silver's ears folded in obvious annoyance, though his face remained calm as he then replied, "Our apologies for not being able to settle this matter tonight, Tenshi. I, however, will look over the letter tonight and would like to request that an audience be made with you tomorrow morning after breakfast. My mate may not have the time tomorrow to join us, either, what with such a busy work schedule and all, I'm afraid..."

The young warrior bowed in his understanding. "Of course, such is the life of a lord of any sort," he murmured, giving a dull glare to Mephiles. The demon's lip twitched in annoyance and Mephiles though he could've had the angel's head rolling across the table right about then for such a disrespectful act, he just proceeded to take his sweet time taking the first bite to initiate their meal. The dining table was silent, their other guests sensing the tension between their hosts and the new guest. Even the children were quiet as they ate, knowing it was the wrong time to speak up.

And when the awkward dinner finally came to an end, Shadow, Sonic, and even the pups were more than happy to leave the table.

Mephiles had soon stormed off to his office, not wishing to see the cherub for another moment. The cherub and Silver were the last to leave the table.

Before Silver could retire to his room, Tenshi had caught his attention. "My lord, if it's not to much trouble, could we speak together about the letter? I'm afraid Lord Mephiles has no interest in speaking with me, and it would be better to just get things over with."

Silver paused only momentarily before agreeing, "Very well. And it does seem that my mate isn't interested in what you have to say, which I apologize for on his behalf."

"He just...hasn't been himself lately," he lied, hating the fact that he didn't even truly know the Seme he was mated to--he didn't know if what Mephiles said and did were truthful or just more lies for his own personal gain.

It only hurt his heart more at that realization....

Tenshi nodded, "It's a shame. I've heard that Lord Mephiles is a very good businessman. It's a little disappointing he doesn't take a liking to me." He followed Silver into the sitting room down the hall. "I would like to suggest that you read the letter first before we discuss anything."