Chapter 25

Mephiles didn't show up for breakfast that morning, so Silver made the excuse for him that he was sleeping in. Despite even bothering to know where he was.

Sonic and Shadow easily agreed with his lie, the parents more preoccupied with their own pups. Silver, in turn, went to retrieve his own children for breakfast.

His pups were still tired as they followed their mother into the dining hall. Still yawning. Crystal managed to focus long enough to not see her father. "Mama? Where's Daddy?" She asked quietly.

"Daddy's still sleeping sweetheart," he smiled softly as he helped each pup into their seat, "He had a long day yesterday and he's still tired..."

She nodded. "But he'll be awake later right? He promised to read to me today." She murmured, sitting beside her mother.

"Of course," he smiled, "We'll send someone up to remind him..."

And so, with the lord absent, Silver being the next in command, started the breakfast meal with the first bite once the food was brought out.

Crystal still seemed a little disappointed, but she trusted her mother's word and didn't question it.

Throughout the meal, Silver held a light conversation with Shadow and his fellow uke, managing to keep an eye on his pups as well...

To him, Meph was hardly missed...

Mephiles soon woke up, he felt relaxed, and he reached for his mate like he usually would when he wasn't cuddled up to him already. But he couldn't feel Silver. He opened his eyes, and found himself exactly where he had been last night. His mood dulled and he felt empty again. The book was still held to his chest, and he squeezed it between his tears. It had to have something on it.

Once he willed away his loneliness and pain to a bearable level, he called for a servant to send for breakfast as he sat up in bed and opened the book.

And as he read further into the texts, the more intrigued and helpful he found it.

Apparently Cherubs, although very powerful, were occasionally known to have fragile minds. The majority of the population wasn't like that, but more than one instance has come up.

Apparently, several shocks to an angel's mind will cause them to eventually go insane, thus deeming them a 'fallen angel'.

There were 2 known levels of insanity when it came to cherubs: borderline and berserk. If a cherub was borderline insane then, they were known to be able to sometimes bring themselves out of insanity or have someone talk them out of it.

If they were berserk, then the angel was beyond hope and would receive a swift and merciful death.

Mephiles was certain, only by the very detailed cases of borderline and berserk cherubs, could he tell that Silver was only borderline. Silver still had a plausible way of thinking. He hadn't killed him right away. If he had, then he would've been berserk and needed to be put down. He was so relieved.

So he'd help Silver, he'd do whatever it took to keep him safe and healthy again. But he'd need to figure this out. There was still half of the book to read, there had to be something else that could help him.

The book said that cherubs were often very intertwined with their heritage and culture. Without it, they were almost depicted as empty shells. That sounded enough like Silver. So perhaps, that's what was bothering him besides what he had done. Maybe it would help Silver feel better if he knew where he came from and the rest of his culture.

Even though he still had half the book to read, with that bit of knowledge and hope, he felt a whole lot better than when he went to bed last night.